Finding the best food for puppies assured your little friend will get the overall balanced nutrition it requires to grow up properly. Compared to adult dogs, puppies have special demands on different nutritional foods to develop a healthy brain, shiny coat, lean muscles, good vision and healthy progress from the beginning of its life.
So, a quality puppy food recipe should be formulated with high-quality ingredients including lean protein, fat & calories and proportioned vitamin & mineral ratios. And as a sincere pet owner, you must avoid poultry products, grains, corn, soy, preservatives, artificial color and flavors, and other allergens.
After researching more than 70 hours on 100 puppy food products, consult with a couple of pet food specialists and food formulation company, we decided to review the 25 best dog food for puppies to help them grow quickly and healthily.
So, have a look to analyze the information set out below and try to find the best brand regarding quality and food ingredients to make your pet happy and healthy.
Top 10 Dog Food for Puppies in 2021 – Comparisons
|Editor's Picks||Product's Name||Brand||Latest Price|
|Our Top Pick||Canidae Life Stages Dog Food for Puppies Review||Canidae||Check Price|
|Runner Up||Taste of The Wild Grain-Free Dry Dog Food Review||Taste of the Wild||Check Price|
|Best Budget||Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Puppy Dog Food Review||Rachael Ray Nutrish||Check Price|
|Best for Small||Wellness Natural Pet Food Review||Wellness Natural Pet Food||Check Price|
|Best for Large||Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food Review||Hill's Science Diet||Check Price|
|Best for Medium||Wellness Puppy Food Review||Wellness Natural Pet Food||Check Price|
|Best Dry Food||Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Review||Blue Buffalo||Check Price|
|Best Grain-Free||Wellness Core Puppy Food Review||Wellness Core||Check Price|
|Best Wet Food||Hill’s Science Diet Review||Hill's Science Diet||Check Price|
|Best for High-Quality Protein||Diamond Pet Foods Review||Diamond Pet Foods||Check Price|
10 Best Dog Food for Puppies in 2021 – Reviews
1. Our Top Pick – CANIDAE Life Stages Dog Food for Puppies Review
CANIDAE Life Stages Dog Food is our choice for the best dog food for puppies. Thanks to its premium ingredients like protein, fat, and fiber. In this food, beef and ocean fish are the prime protein source.
This food also contains some other ingredients including sage, rosemary and herbal to increase the nutritional level. Moreover, it is totally free of artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives that could upset a new puppy’s tummy.
CANIDAE Life Stages recipe is suitable for all breeds of puppies and dogs for all sizes
This recipe is vet formulated for dogs of all sizes, breeds, and ages. It works equivalent to mealtimes for multiple dogs through a single bag of different foods.
No more hesitation of your dog’s breed, size or age to offer this Canidae All Life Stages Dog Food. The nutritionally dense formula always counts premium ingredients with optimum protein, but never corn, wheat or soy.
The first five ingredients in this formula are a chicken meal, turkey meal, lamb meal, brown rice, and white rice. Chicken is the prime source of protein and a good source of Vitamin B6 and Phosphorus.
The chicken meal is the condensed form of the chicken protein for dog food. Another ingredient turkey is a good source of Riboflavin and Phosphorus supplies 70 percent protein as concentrated form.
The Lamb meal supplies 60 percent protein and works as a very good source of vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Iron, Zinc, Copper and Selenium.
Moreover, brown rice and white rice used as a cereal grain, especially for dogs that can’t eat corn or wheat. Brown rice is higher in fiber and white rice helps dogs recovering from surgery or from gastrointestinal problems.
- Formulated for puppies and dogs of all ages, size, and breeds
- Rich with all premium quality ingredients
- Totally free from artificial color, flavor, and preservatives
- Never used corn, wheat or soy
- Available at reasonable price
- Keep your pup nourished and healthy
2. Runner Up – Taste of The Wild Grain-Free Dry Dog Food Review
The Wild Grain-Free Dry Dog food formulated with real roasted meat and a great combination of protein source. Used vegetables and fruits supply natural antioxidants to support a healthy lifestyle.
This food doesn’t contain any corn, wheat or filler. There is no artificial color, flavors, or preservatives that could harm a puppy’s tummy.
This food formula features plenty of premium ingredients and provides digestible energy and excellent nutrition for your growing puppy
Beef is the main ingredient of this dry food provides optimal amino acid and protein to build strong muscles. The high-quality protein with smaller kibble is very much effective for growing puppy, and DHA helps to develop proper brain structure.
Peas are the next ingredient, a great source of carbohydrates. Generally, peas contain 25% of protein, which is solely considerable when judging the meat content of the food. Peas are also rich in natural fiber.
The grain-free formula of this product delivers digestible energy and outstanding nutrition. The real roasted meat and a proper mixture of protein sources offer the extraordinary taste sensation. Used fruits and vegetables also help and support for a healthy immune system.
Pet proprietors are very much responsive to collect this product 2nd time for its healthy and nutritional features. Several pet owners surprisingly appreciated for the affordable price and quality.
- Real meat is the first ingredient to help support strong muscles
- High-quality protein recipe for hard-working
- DHA for Brain development
- Made with no grain, corn, wheat, filler
- No artificial flavors, colors, preservatives
- Made in the USA
3. Best Budget – Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Puppy Dog Food Review
Rachael Ray Nutrish dog food brand is the cheap rated and best budget collection in this puppy food list. It is manufactured by Ainsworth Pet Nutrition and designed by Chef Rachael Ray. She formulated the genuine recipes for her own pit bulls and established as a brand for delivering safe, high-quality, and affordable pet foods.
This puppy food ensures necessary nutrition of your four-legged friend
This food recipe contains real chicken and brown rice with other natural ingredients like vitamins & chelated minerals. Here the used chicken holds the number one ingredients including wholesome grains and vegetables those are wisely picked to meet the demands of your growing puppy.
Rachael Ray Nutrish rich with DHA, which helps to support brain development and strong bone structure. The high quality, tasty real chicken provides essential nutrients to maintain healthy organs and lean muscles.
Brown Rice, Carrots, and Peas are tremendous carbohydrate source for necessary B vitamins and wholesome fiber. The Cranberries covers fruits rich in antioxidants, which help support a healthy immune system.
Pet proprietors like to find the smaller sized package with quality ingredients. With a price tag of $16 for a 14-pound bag might be the best choice for them who looking for a quality food package on a budget.
- This food is formulated with #1 farm-raised chicken ingredient
- Used DHA helps to build strong muscle and brain development
- There is no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives
- Suitable for dog breeds of all sizes
- Made in the USA
4. Best Puppy Food for Small Breeds – Wellness Natural Pet Food Review
Basically, small dog breeds demand unique nutritional needs, especially during their developing ages.
The Complete Health Small Breed is the complete nutrient – rich food supplies the perfect balance of protein, vitamins, and minerals to support the unique health of small breeds.
It’s a mission of Wellness to provide the uncompromising balanced nutrition with extraordinary standards to deliver your small breed’s total nutritional demand.
Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Dog Food ensures a complete wellness diet for your small pup. The company always uses the finest natural ingredients to create delicious healthy recipes for the complete health of your developing puppies.
This food also supports to develop your puppy’s teeth and bone strength, healthy brain structure, healthy muscle, optimal energy, liveliness, and overall health.
The recipe provides a great taste that loves puppies. It is packed with antioxidants from vegetables and fruits like apples, blueberries, sweet potatoes and sweet. Chicken is the first ingredient in this dog food.
Although raw chicken contains up to 73% water after cooking, it lost most of the moisture and after processing, the item would probably account for a little part of the whole finished product.
Chicken meal is another used ingredient contains nearly 300% more protein than fresh chicken. Ground brown rice, barley peas are also a quality source of carbohydrates.
Barley also supplies fiber and other healthy nutrients. Aside from carbohydrate, peas contain about 25% protein that must be considered when judging the meat content of this food.
So, as a family-owned company Wellness is the face of a new generation in puppy food.
- Ensures daily nutrition for your small breed puppy
- Easy to digest
- Probiotics for sensitive stomachs
- Contains only premium and natural ingredients
- Grain-free and free from fillers, soy, and corn,
- No by-products, artificial preservatives, colors or flavors
- Made in the USA
5. Best Puppy Food for Large Breeds – Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food Review
Hill’s Science Large Breed Dry Dog Foods are recommended for large breed puppies over 55 pounds or up to 1-year old. The recipe is formulated with all high quality and natural food ingredients with vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.
It is the natural source of glucosamine and chondroitin to develop strong muscles and joints. This food also supplies an optimal level of calcium to control bone structure in large breed puppies. Free from all artificial and harmful flavors, colors or preservatives.
Large dog breeds need bigger and different nutrition compared to smaller breeds. So, ensure your large breed is getting balanced nutrition regarding its size, weight, and breed.
This premium food is formulated with all natural quality content and contains no corn, wheat or soy. Chicken meal is the basic ingredient contains 300% more protein than fresh chicken.
Barley, the starchy carbohydrate is another ingredient supply fiber and other healthy nutrients. It also supplies cereal grain the only modest nutritional value for dogs. The pork meal contains near about 300% protein than fresh pork.
Hill’s Science is 100% confident about their product and offers a 100% satisfaction to users with money-back guarantee.
- Nutritious and easy to digest
- Arrived with two available flavors: Chicken Meal & Oats and Lamb Meal & Rice
- Supports a healthy immune system
- Antioxidants with vitamin C and E
- Recommended for puppies are more than 55 pounds
6. Best Puppy Food for Medium Breeds – Wellness Puppy Food Review
Wellness CORE Natural Dry Dog Foods contain 28% protein, 17% fat, 4% fiber, ensures total nutritional balance for medium dog breeds.
The recipe formulated with 100% grain-free ingredients, but chicken, turkey, salmon oil, and DHA for brain and vision enhancement in puppies.
The food Included vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, probiotics, fish and flax omega blend develop healthy skin and coat. Made with only premium natural ingredients and no wheat, corn, soy or artificial additives are included.
This food item also features a wide variety of fruits and vegetables to deliver antioxidant.
Wellness also uses excellent preparatory standards and natural ingredients which enhance the longevity of the product without any artificial preservatives.
- Best for medium dog breeds
- Grain-free natural ingredients
- High-quality protein, but no meat by-products
- Calcium and phosphorus for bones and teeth
- No artificial preservatives
- Made in the USA
7. Best Dry Dog Food for Puppies – Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Review
BLUE Life Protection Dry Puppy Foods are formulated for the proper health development and overall well-being of your puppies.
Your dog will love the used ingredients so much to eat. It is made with protein-rich, delicious, deboned lamb, garden veggies, and fruit.
If you like to feed your puppy “real dry food,” the BLUE Life Protection formula is the best suggestion for you. It is completely free from chicken, corn, wheat, soy, artificial preservatives, colors, and flavors.
Blue dry dog foods are a precise blend of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants help to support the immune health system. The formula offers all natural finest ingredients with sufficient amount of vitamins and minerals.
- Available bag size: 6 pounds, 15 pounds, and 30 pounds
- Premium quality pet food
- Formulated with natural and finest ingredients
- 4 flavors available
- Proudly made in the USA
8. Best Grain-Free Puppy Food – Wellness Core Puppy Food Review
Wellness CORE Natural Foods are 100% grain-free and make a complete nutritional balance for your puppy. The recipe contains chicken, turkey, salmon oil, and DHA for brain and vision enhancement in puppies.
This Wellness Puppy Food is formulated with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, probiotics, fish and flax omega blend to develop healthy skin and coat. High Protein levels enhance lean muscle mass and the ability to burn excess fat and calories.
These grain-free foods made with only natural ingredients without any wheat, corn, soy or artificial colors or flavors.
Available high-quality carbohydrates provide a daily energy boost for your dog.
- Grain-free natural ingredients
- High-quality protein, but no meat by-products
- Calcium and phosphorus for bones and teeth
- No artificial preservatives
- Made in the USA
9. Best Wet Dog Food for Puppies – Hill’s Science Diet Review
Hill’s Science Wet Dog Food comes with real meat, brown rice and delicious vegetables including peas and carrots. The balanced blend is combined with rich gravy, which helps to make this food appealing to pups.
These foods provide high levels of lean protein, those are indispensable for muscle building and maintaining your dog’s body structure.
The real chicken, beef, brown rice, and all-natural ingredients make this food more balanced and nutritious. Hill’s ensures 100% satisfaction and money-back guarantee for any dissatisfaction.
So, as a well-known brand Hill’s Science supplies all quality nutritional foods for dogs of all life stages and sizes since 1939. They choose all ingredients and nutrients very carefully to provide the optimum balance for your dog.
- Available high-quality protein and easily digestible ingredients
- Formulated with all natural ingredients
- Delivers balanced nutrition to develop your dog’s overall health
- There are 4 flavours including beef, chicken, and turkey
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed
10. Best High-Quality Protein Dog Food for Puppy – Diamond Pet Foods Review
Diamond Naturals dog food for puppies made with the highest quality ingredients to ensure complete and holistic nutrition for your pet.
It is enriched with certain probiotics for the ideal balance of protein and best digestive support. The food formula contains DHA for your puppy’s proper brain development and bone structure.
Here used fatty acid and antioxidants help for overall growth and development of your pooch. There is no corn, wheat, filler, and no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives to ensure the highest safety.
The ideal protein and mineral content support your puppy’s growth and development. Used L-Carnitine assists to convert protein and fat into energy to develop a healthy body structure.
- Meet your puppy’s highest nutritional needs
- Formulated with high-quality protein and all premium ingredients
- Available in 4 packages: 6lbs, 18lbs, 20lbs, and 40lbs
- Perfect level of Glucosamine and Chondroitin
- Made in the USA
- Eagle Pack Natural Food for Puppy
Eagle Pack Natural Dry Dog Food made for large-breed puppies to grow energy in everyday life.
It makes a proper balance of protein, fat, vitamin, minerals, carbohydrate, omega fatty acid and antioxidant.
Using DHA supports to develop strong teeth and healthy eyes. There is no an artificial flavor, colors, preservatives, corn, wheat or meat by-products.
- Best for puppies who will weigh over 50 pounds
- All premium ingredients ensure healthy growth
- Good in Digestive
- Only made in the USA
- Castor & Pollux Organix Dry Dog Food
Castor & Pollux Dry Dog Food features and formulated with best quality ingredients and ensured optimal safety.
It provides your puppy all necessary nutrition to grow up to be healthy, strong and energetic.
Contain Omega 3 fatty acids for healthy skin and coat, and organic ingredients to maintain healthy gastrointestinal activity.
No wheat, corn, soy or filler and no artificial elements used to produce this food for puppies.
- Include plenty of fresh fruits and vegetable
- Great taste and outstanding digestibility
- 2 appearances available: 5.25 lbs. and 14.5 lbs.
- product of the USA
- Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food for Large Breeds
Natural Balance Limited Dry Dog Food formulated for digestive efficiency, allergy avoidance, and dental health.
The ratio of used ingredients are protein 21%, moisture 10%, fat 12%, fiber 4%, Omega 6 1.7%, Calcium 1%, phosphorus 0.80%.
This food is formulated with very high-quality ingredients are lamb, rice, rice bran, tomato, different vitamin, and minerals.
It helps to grow your dog’s clean and strong teeth and healthy gums.
- No artificial flavor, color, and preservatives
- Contains 1 – 28-pound bag of dry dog food
- Encourages breeds to chew properly
- Highly qualified puppy food
- Natural Balance Original Health Dry Dog Food Formula
Natural Balance Ultra Whole Dry Dog Food specially designed for small dog breeds. An efficient balance of protein and nutrients maintain a strong immune system.
The ratios of used ingredients are: protein 23%, fat 13%, fiber 5%, Omega-6 2.5%, Calcium 1.12%, phosphorus 0.92% and EPA+DHA 0.25%.
This Ultra food helps to make the body structure of your puppy with healthy digestion.
- Contains 1-12lbs bag
- A natural balance of efficient nutrition
- Optimal quality of food ingredients
- Supports for muscle development with others
- Nature’s Recipe Grain Free Chicken Dry Puppy Food
Nature’s Recipe Grain-Free Dog Food formulated with high-quality real chicken that is number one protein source for muscle development of your growing puppy.
It also has some other ingredient like sweet potato; pumpkin is the adequate source of carbohydrates to produce typical energy.
Like other natural dog food, it also added an efficient Number of vitamins, minerals, other nutrients to fuel your pup.
- Grain-free sources of carbohydrates
- Delicious food ingredients make this food tasty
- Fatty acid for healthy skin and shiny coat
- There is no corn or beef and avoiding all sensitive ingredients
- BLUE Wilderness Grain Free Dry Dog Food for Puppy
Natural Balance Dry Dog Food made with more delicious chicken that your puppy loves more.
Other protein sources are deboned chicken, real chicken and fish meal also supply the protein to fulfill your dog’s need.
Necessary fruits and vegetables provide your dog essential vitamins and minerals for proper growth. The DHA helps for cognitive development with brain and teeth.
- Formulated with BLUE Wilderness Puppy Formula
- Made by high protein source food ingredients
- 3 presentations available: 4.5 pounds, 11 pounds, and 24 pounds.
- No corn, wheat or soy
- Hill’s Science Diet Healthy Dry Puppy Food
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food is ideal for puppies and nursing dogs. This food contains DHA from quality fish oil to develop a healthy brain, eye and bone structure of your pet.
Necessary vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants support to build a healthy immune system.
There is no artificial color, flavor or preservative to affect your dog’s digestive system.
- Helps to grow your puppy strong and healthy
- 3 presentations available: 4.5lbs, 15.5lbs, and 30lbs
- Easy to digest for growing puppies
- 100% satisfaction with the guarantee
- Instinct Raw Boost Grain Free Natural Dry Puppy Food
Raw Boost Grain Free Dry Food for puppies formulated with natural ingredients to provide a balanced nutrition.
Grain-free, high-protein freeze dried raw pieces supplies a nutrient-rich diet for digestive health.
Natural DHA contains efficient levels of calcium and phosphorous for your puppy’s bone and teeth development.
Healthy Omega 3 is an ideal source of fatty acids helps to make a soft and shiny coat.
- No artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
- provide pure nutrition for digestive health
- 2 flavors available: Puppy Chicken and Large Breed Puppy Chicken
- Proudly made in the USA
- Purina Pro Plan Focus Puppy Food
Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Food for puppies made by high-quality protein including chicken meal to develop your puppy’s healthy muscles and bones.
Each bag Purina Dry Dog Food contains a combination of farm-fresh fruits and vegetables including apples, peas, blueberries, potatoes and sweet potatoes.
Antioxidant formula supports to develop a proper immune system. Here other vitamin, minerals, calcium and phosphorous assist to grow strong teeth and bones.
- 3 presentations available: 4 lbs., 12 lbs., and 22 lbs.
- High-quality ingredients help to meet unique nutritional needs
- Grain-free and natural
- DHA helps to build strong teeth and eyes
- Made in the USA
- Merrick 1 Count Backcountry Puppy Food Recipe
Merrick Count Backcountry is made from the standard recipe with quality protein, glucosamine, and chondroitin.
This food recipe is scientifically formulated and reserve with high-quality food ingredients.
Pet animals love this food for its delicious food ingredients and taste. Merrick provides a complete nutritional balance for your dog’s diet.
- Made with USDA-inspected deboned meat
- Never contain unnecessary fillers
- 3 presentations available: 4 lbs., 12 lbs., and 22 lbs.
- None of any ingredients are ever imported from China
- Made in the USA
- IAMS PROACTIVE HEALTH Smart Puppy Dry Food
If your puppy demands special nutritional needs for proper growth, IAMS PROACTIVE HEALTH Puppy Dry Dog Food is the perfect selection for them.
The recipe is formulated with premium nutritional formula ideal for puppies are only 1-12 months old.
Enrich with necessary vitamins and minerals to build strong bones and healthy immune system.
Pet owners also love this food because there are no fillers, corns, wheat, soy or artificial preservatives.
- Ensure 100% complete and balanced nutrition for proper growth
- Omega-3 DHA to support healthy brain and vision development
- 3 flavors available: Small & Toy Breed, Medium Breed, and Large Breed
- Made in the USA
- BLUE Freedom Puppy Grain Free Dry Dog Food
BLUE Freedom is the grain free chicken dry dog food for puppies formulated with protein-rich, delicious, deboned chicken.
The food formulation contains vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants for proper growth of muscles and structure.
Protein and carbohydrate efficiently used to recover higher energetic needs. DHA supports healthy teeth and eye development.
- Helps avoid any allergic reactions
- No gluten and no grains
- Supports for healthy growth and development
- No wheat, corn, soy, or artificial ingredients
- Royal Canin Health Nutrition Mini Puppy Dry Dog Food
Basically, Royal Canin Puppy Dry Dog Food designed to develop your puppy’s immune system, teeth, and bone strength.
Available high-quality energetic ingredients meet your dog’s nutritional demand during the growing period.
Additionally, specialized kibble helps to remove dental plaque and formation of tartar.
- Recommended for puppies weighing up to 22 pounds
- Two presentations available: 2.5 lb. and 13 lbs.
- Promote optimal digestion
- Ideal for transition from milk
- Helps support natural defenses
- Nutro Wholesome Essentials Puppy Dry Food
Nutro Wholesome Puppy Dry Dog Food supplies tailored nutrition to meet your puppies basic nutritional needs.
Basic ingredients are farm raised chicken, Vegetables, Fruits, Brown Rice, Potato and Sweet potato makes the food more delicious to eat.
Nutro Dog Food also contains Omega-3 fatty acid to promote healthy growth and development. DHA helps to build teeth and eye visions.
- 5 flavors available: Chicken – Small Breed, Chicken – Large Breed, Chicken, Lamb – Large Breed, and Lamb
- THE NUTRO FEED CLEAN philosophy
- No artificial flavors, colors or preservatives
- To potential cross contact during manufacturing.
- Merrick Grain Free Puppy Dry Food
Merrick Dry Dog Food is the best grain free puppy food provides the best recipe for quality, nutrition, and taste.
Pet parents choose this food to avoid grain sensitivity, improve gastrointestinal health and digestive capacity.
Merrick grain free dog food contains a huge amount of Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids to build healthy skin and coat for dogs.
This recipe does not contain corn, wheat, soy or gluten ingredients.
- Provides grain-free nutrition
- No ingredients import from China
- Ensures quality nutrition and taste
- Produced in the USA by organically certified kitchens
- Eukanuba Large Breed Dry Dog Food for Puppy
EUKANUBA Puppy dry dog food made from natural beet pulp to promotes healthy digestion and proper nutrient absorption.
The recipe formulated with high-quality proteins to make strong skeleton and muscles of your dog breed.
Optimal levels of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids promote healthy skin and radiant coat. This dog food offers 100% balanced diet for growing dogs.
To develop the healthy brain and eye vision, there is the optimal level of DHA also helps to generate more intelligent puppies.
- Made from high-quality, animal-based proteins
- 6 presentations available: 5 lbs., 15 lbs., 16 lbs., 30 lbs., 33 lbs., and 40 lbs.
- No corn, soy, artificial flavors, colors or preservatives
- Midwestern PRO PAC Ultimates Dry Puppy Food
Midwestern PRO PAC food recipe scientifically formulated for your puppies basic growth.
Used quality ingredients supply extra calories for proper growth and energy. To increase nutritional goodness, this puppy food contained more protein, fat, vitamin and minerals.
There is no corn, wheat, soy or artificial color, flavor or preservatives.
- Rich with DHA helps to brain development
- 2 presentations available: 5 lbs. and 28 lbs
- Special puppy formula provides ultimate nutrition
Types of Puppy Food
Commonly, there are five basic types of puppy food and each has special features to support your puppy’s health issues and overall growth.
- Puppy Food: Puppy food has been formulated by the recommendation of veterinary nutritionists to fulfill your pup’s specific dietary health requirements. So, before choosing any puppy food, you should follow your vet’s recommendation.
- Canned Food: Basically, canned puppy food is useful for dogs those are not willing to get enough drinking water. Sometimes, canned wet puppy food may use as a supplement of dry kibble.
- Dry/Kibble Food: Dry kibble is commercially produced dry dog food. The used ingredients may vary from brand to brand. You should offer your pup dry kibble food when it becomes at least eight weeks of age.
- Home Made Food: Homemade foods are becoming much popular day by day. You can provide your pup with specific nutritional needs by preparing puppy food at home.
- Raw Food: Raw foods work best with your pooch to save from possible food poisoning, dental hazards, and missing nutrients. Organic meat or raw meat and uncooked meat bones are all part of the raw puppy food.
Factors to Consider Before Choosing Dog Food for Puppies
The ideal puppy foods should rich with a sufficient amount of nutrition for your dog’s proper growth. Best nutritional foods contribute to keeping your dog healthy and active. There are some considerations you should remember when evaluating for best puppy food.
Large dog breeds can be affected by their health issues if they feed insufficient food items as their regular meal. On the other hand, feeding large breed puppy food to your small puppy can cause digestive problem or dysplasia or worse.
So, be confident about the food supplement regarding your dog’s size & age. You can follow your veterinarian’s suggestion on this purpose.
It is another vital factor you must consider while choosing food for your puppy. There are different types of puppy foods available on the market those contain various ingredients known to be toxic or harmful for dogs.
These foods may contain avocado meal or garlic, which should be avoided. So, pick the food that features real ingredients, quality protein, and vitamin source.
Naturally, puppies are very active, enthusiastic and adventurous. So it is necessary to take care of their proper health and growth. In this case, food is a vital consideration than other health issues.
Normally, puppies should have soft and clear eyes, wet nose, and shiny fur. If you observe the puppy doesn’t look well, you can switch the dog food brand to another. During this situation, you can consult with your vet for the proper suggestion.
Dry Food or Wet Food
Many pet proprietors feel disappointed, whether to choose dry kibble food or canned wet food for their young puppies. They face trouble to make the decision which one is the best for young dogs.
According to the veterinarian, dry dog food is the best for the puppy as a regular meal. This food helps your dog to maintain a healthy body and strong teeth. Although some puppies like to take wet dog foods for special reasons, dry foods are healthier than wet foods.
It is the final consideration of how much you are willing to spend on managing your puppy food. The price range of puppy food may vary from $2 to $30 per bag or $10 to $100 per can.
Purchasing a large volume package can save your money and you can keep an eye for manufacturer’s coupons to buy the puppy food more affordable.
Ingredients Which are Safe for Puppies to Eat
There are some ingredients include in puppy food can be verified as major and minor based on their features and quality. Major ingredients come from animal and plants where Minor ingredients used as the source of minerals, vitamins, and others.
The following ingredients make the puppy food safe and provide necessary proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, fats and minerals for a balanced diet.
- Natural Preservatives: Puppy food includes natural preservatives like plant extracts, Vitamin C, and Vitamin E. These natural ingredients are healthful and help to maintain food quality.
- Whole Meat: Human grade whole meats are approved for human ingesting and referred as finished dog product. This food ingredient has gone through a more difficult in investigation both for food and manufacturing plant. So, you can become clear in mind to offer whole meat to your pup.
- Whole Grains: These ingredients featured with easily digestible fiber, energy, and complex carbohydrates. Like protein sources, whole grains are very important for your puppy’s healthy diet.
- Animal-Based Proteins: Puppy food should contain identifiable meat protein for their proper growth and development. Chicken, beef, lamb, and fish meal are the prime sources of meat protein. These are very essential to execute your puppy’s critical body functions.
- Necessary Fats: Like meat, protein fat is also essential for your puppy’s proper diet. Fat contains fatty acids such as Omega-6 and Omega-3 those are important to help your puppy’s growth.
- Vegetables and Fruits: Fruits and vegetables are rich with necessary vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, which help to improve all features of the physical function of your dog and keep safe from serious illnesses like cancer. So, fruits and vegetables are very necessary to include with puppy food.
Ingredients Which are Not Safe for Puppies to Eat
There are some ingredients include with puppy food provide no nutritional values to your puppy’s health and development. Eventually, they may damage your puppy’s growth procedure and lead to fatal health issues. So, before purchasing puppy food you should sincerely avoid the following issues.
- Wheat Gluten: It is the waste of wheat grains. Some pet food manufacturing company uses this ingredient as the meat substitute. Basically, it is less nutrient than meat-based proteins used at low-grade foods.
- Corn: Corns are hard to digest and cause allergies. This grain is used as a low-cost filler in pet foods. It is a low-quality food ingredient provides very little to no nutritional value.
- Corn Syrup: Commonly, these types of foods are rich with sugar and too much sugar may cause develop diabetes, hyperactivity, or behavioral changes for your dog. So, you should sincerely avoid Corn Syrup to maintain your pooch’s good health.
- Meat Meal: Actually, Meat meal contains animal waste materials like hooves, bones, and heads. It is also familiar as by-products, by-product meal, or meat bone-meal has been cooked to remove its water content. So, as a sincere pet owner, you should avoid these food packages.
- Ethoxyquin: It is a type of preservative specially used in dog food and works for liver damage, cancer, blindness, leukemia, kidney damage, and immune system disorders of your dog. Ethoxyquin was originally formulated as an herbicide. Good foods are always free from preservatives and artificial colors or flavors.
With these, there are more harmful ingredients you should avoid like Render fat, Food dyes, Structural carbohydrate, BHA, Propylene Glycol, Synthetic Vitamin K3, Hydrochloric Acid and so on.
Some Important Tips
Here are some other tips you can follow to ensure more balanced and nutritional food items for your puppy.
Consult with your vet when choosing the food brand: Many pet food manufacturing companies make up their production without maintaining the rules of AAFCO. The well-renowned food brands always invest time and values in scientific research according to the recommendation of a veterinary nutritionist to produce ideal puppy foods.
Be sincere about used calories: Puppy foods should contain more calories than adult dog foods. On the growing stage, puppies spent half of their calories by playing or exercising and rest of the calories for tissue growth and development. So, it is important to know about your pet’s physical growth or used calorie and the amount of nutrients you provide for their proper development.
Check the Puppy Food Ingredients: Checking out the real food ingredients is vital for balanced puppy food. These immensely help to develop your puppy’s physical and mental growth. Actually, the nervous system of a puppy is dependent on the essential fatty acid DHA. It helps to develop appropriate brain structure and lean muscles.
A puppy’s regular diet should rich with higher amount of nutrition and caloric food for their eye, ear, skin, brain, and bone development. Studies have proved that puppies fed diets high in DHA have improved memory and trainability. This should outcome in smarter, more trainable puppies.
Be Sincere about Your Puppy’s Health: It is crucial to keep your puppy’s health fit and well for a healthy life. In this case, proper food and nutritional values can help to develop muscle structure and bone strength with appropriate weight.
Like underweight, overweight also leads to diseases such as arthritis, heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes or heat exhaustion. So, you should consult with the veterinarian about the puppy’s physical condition before finalizing a regular diet.
Compare your puppy size with puppy food: Be mindful to choose a puppy food that is specially formulated considering your puppy size. A tiny puppy may face trouble with larger size pieces of food. On the other hand, large breed puppy food should have a specific ratio of calcium and phosphorus to ensure bone development and prevent joint disease. So, remember your dog’s size before choosing the food package for your puppy.
A puppy may bring great joy in your life and a substantial amount of obligation. So, it is vital to choose the proper food for your four-legged furry friend to ensure its proper growth and health improvement.
You should provide your pooch balanced nutrition regarding its size, weight, age, and breed. An adequate amount of nutrients and vitamins are needed for the proper development of the puppy’s body functions, bones, and muscles.
Real foods also contribute to your pup’s healthy bowel movements, and outstanding coat and skin condition. So, invest your time to discover the best ideal food which your pups feel the interest to take regularly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: What is the best dog food for puppies?
Answer: Puppy foods are formulated to address the special dietary needs of a puppy. They contain more percentage of protein amount than adult dog foods to supply higher energy and ensure the potential growth of puppies. So, it is important to choose the best food for your puppy’s overall wellbeing. Within thousands of brands, we suggest Wellness Natural Pet food for your puppy for complete and balanced nutrition.
Question: What type of dog food is best for puppies?
Answer: Actually, there are three types of dog food in the market and these are moist, semi-moist, and dry kibble. Among these three types, dry kibble is best for puppies because it formulated with more meat protein which is indispensable for puppy growth. It is also easy to digest, better for keeping the teeth clean and more cost-effective.
Question: Is science diet a good dog food for puppies?
Answer: Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Dog Food is good for large breed puppies. The recipe is formulated with all quality and natural ingredients to ensure balanced nutrition. In this food, the main ingredient chicken meal contains 300% more protein than fresh chicken.
Question: What is the difference between puppy food and adult dog food?
Answer: There is a major difference between a puppy and adult food. Normally, puppy food contains around 30% protein with high-fat content to produce energy for proper growth. In a word, puppy food contains double nutritional values in a daily meal rather than adult dog food.
Question: It is suitable to take regular dog food for my puppy?
Answer: It should not provide the usual dog foods to a puppy because they need to take special foods for their proper growth and healthy body. On the other hand, an adult dog may become sick to take puppy foods regularly.
Question: How much dog food for puppy?
Answer: It is indispensable to feed puppies a complete and balanced meal regularly to ensure their proper growth and development. Usually, it is adequate to feed a puppy 4 times in a day with ¾ a cup of puppy food to fulfill their nutritional demands.
Question: How long a dog should take puppy food?
Answer: A dog should take puppy food for 10–14 months and giant breeds can eat up to 24 months for proper growth. In their adult age, puppy food wouldn’t sufficient to meet their regular nutritional needs.
Question: What are the best times to feed a puppy?
Answer: Puppies like to eat more frequently than adult dogs, almost three to four times a day to compensate their energy. Just like you, they need breakfast, lunch, dinner, and sometimes a late afternoon snack. So, you can offer them breakfast at 7 am, lunch at 12 pm, snack at 3 pm, and dinner at around 7 pm. You can also maintain your own schedule but of course, focus on their healthy and proper diet.
Question: How to soften dog food for puppies?
Answer: At first mix the dog food with a premium canned puppy food to make it soft and even more appealing. You can also mix some warm water for 10 to 15 minutes before offering them.
Question: Is Kirkland dog food good for puppies?
Answer: According to pet proprietors review, Kirkland dog foods are very good and healthy for puppies. It contains all real ingredients like fresh chicken, egg, garden vegetables, healthy fruits. Moreover, Kirkland puppy food is formulated with protein-rich formula which is helpful for the puppy’s proper fundamental growth.
Question: Can puppies eat wet food?
Answer: Of course, a puppy can take wet food but be sure to provide wet food which has been made especially for puppies. Wet foods may excellent choice for puppies but be aware that these do not clean the puppy’s teeth properly. So, in this case, brushing your pup’s teeth may be a regular task of your pet care routine.
Question: Do Puppies become happy to get treats?
Answer: Yes, a puppy may very happy by receiving special treats. But you have to sincere about the treat which should softer and rich with higher calories. Puppy teeth may not be able to handle adult or hard treats.