Dog Probiotics are an important factor for regulating your dog’s health. A general diet and routine cannot fulfill his health requirements unless it’s rich in probiotics.
The digestive tract of your dog has many good bacteria and flora that help pooches in digesting all the nutrients and staying healthy. For many reasons, these bacteria can decrease in number by time and you will notice symptoms like disturbed stomach, diarrhea, or overall weakness.
So, to restore the good colonies of bacteria in your pup’s body, it is very important to choose supplements known as probiotics. These are specifically designed for dogs and are scientifically proven to maintain their health throughout the dog’s life.
For letting you choose among the best options available, we’ve brought the best buying guide along with 10 Best Dog Probiotics for an easier selection.
|Image||Product Name||Key Features|
Purina Fortiflora Dog Probiotic
|Check On Amazon|
Zesty Paws Dog Probiotic
|Check On Amazon|
PetHonesty Dog Probiotic
|Check On Amazon|
Zesty Paws Probiotics
|Check On Amazon|
Pet Ultimates Probiotics
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
Doggie Daillies Probiotic
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
Nusentia Dog Probiotic
|Check On Amazon|
Amazing Nutritionals Probiotic
|Check On Amazon|
Best Dog Probiotics in 2021 – Reviews
1. Our Top Pick – Purina Fortiflora Dog Probiotic
Best probiotics for pet’s digestive system, vet recommended, and proprietary microencapsulation process to promote stability.
Your pet’s health is our utmost concern, so we have selected the Purina Fortiflora as the best pick for your pet. Microbes in the stomach of a pet could be destroyed, which would lead to an upset stomach, diarrhea, skin conditions, allergies, and general bad health.
Therefore, giving your pets specially formulated probiotics, and prebiotics supplements to maintain healthy bacteria in the digestive tracks, and eliminate adverse symptoms. This ensures that the right types of bacteria are supplied to your furry friend.
Pets suffering from stomach disorders such as diarrhea can be sure of relief by taking this formula. This formula contains probiotic supplements that aids the digestive movement, enhances bowel movement, and eliminates symptoms that come with stomach upset.
Additionally, this product has been recommended by vets as it contains probiotics to further improve the normal intestinal microflora. Thus, providing the needed microorganisms for easy digestion. There are essential minerals and vitamins in this supplement to aid the sound health of your pet.
Furthermore, the ease of use is another advantage. There are 30 packets in each product purchased, and each packet should be served daily for every size of the pet. The powder should be added to the pet’s food regularly, by sprinkling it over the food gently.
Also, the taste is a good one, and your dog would not have any problem eating the meal in which the probiotic was added. This product also contains antioxidants, which are needed for boosting and supporting the immune system of your furry friend.
Pet that suffers from allergies has also been considered foods that stir allergies that have been carefully omitted. Such food like wheat, soy, and other poultry by-products have been carefully eliminated. Essential nutrients and vitamins, such as the Vitamin E supplement are present in the formula.
- Number 1 probiotics recommended by veterinarians
- Probiotic supplement for digestive system support
- Could be administered 1 pack per day
- Eliminates digestive problems and its symptoms
- Easy to administer to the pets
2. Runner Up – Zesty Paws Dog Probiotic
The formula made of natural digestive enzyme, contains prebiotics and probiotics, for stomach problems.
Your beloved furry friend would be healthier when they take the Zesty Paws dog probiotics. This product is coming after our top pick, but it improves digestion, boosts the immune system, and prevents the growth of harmful bacteria. Additionally, this formula contains over 3 million CFU of prebiotics and probiotics which supply the needed digestive coverage.
This product is the premium choice for pets suffering from gas, bloating, indigestion, diarrhea, and general stomach discomfort. Hence, this formula has been carefully prepared for improving pet’s health, and appropriate for all sizes and ages of dogs.
Zesty paws ingredients have been meticulously selected for maximum comfort and health. The GanedenBC30 in this product aids digestion and the digestive system by supporting the absorption of essential nutrients while enhancing healthy bacteria that aids the GL health.
Additionally, GanedenBC30 withstands stomach acid as it supports the gut bacteria and flora. Also, papaya in this formula aids digestive enzyme and pumpkin that provides prebiotic since it is a fiber. Hence, it aids mobility and bowel movement. Pumpkin and papaya are natural enzymes and fibers.
This product is grain-free and gives your pet premium anti-diarrhea and bloat support for all ages of dogs. Being chewable makes it a perfect choice for your canine; they have been carefully made with top quality products.
Furthermore, flaxseed is another essential ingredient in this formula; it aids the bowel movement. There are no artificial preservatives and flavors, and it is cooked without heat to preserve the ingredient integrity.
- Over 3 million CFU prebiotics and probiotics
- GanedenBC30 is an essential Bacillus Coagulant
- Perfect for dog of all ages
- Contains pumpkin and papaya
- No artificial flavors and preservative
3. Best Budget – PetHonesty Dog Probiotic
Contains 5 lactobacillus strains, made of natural ingredients without artificial preservatives.
When your pet is not well, you are also disturbed. Pets could suffer from an upset stomach and a general decline in health. Therefore, to keep your pet healthy, the PetHonesty probiotics is our best budget choice and contains specially formulated probiotics and prebiotics.
Although it is designed for pet owners on a budget, you don’t have to worry, as it equally contains essential nutrients, and your pet’s health is guaranteed. This product has a natural duck taste, and your pet would not have any problem taking this food.
You need to know that this product contains more than 6 billion CFUs, which ensures better yield and wellness of pets, and it would last you better than other brands. Additionally, this product has been made from natural ingredients, which include the pumpkin, is a natural ingredient that is loaded with fiber and aids digestion and bowel movement.
There are six enzyme blends, and their function is the breaking down of food molecules into smaller building blocks and aid nutrient absorption with overall digestion.
Furthermore, some super nutritious food such as carrot and sweet potato are present. Flaxseed is an important supply of fiber. You need to know that there are no fillers in this food, it is grain-free, contains no soy, sugar, or artificial preservatives.
This product is long-lasting; it can serve all dog sizes for a longer period. There are five lactobacillus strains which aid digestion and the overall bowel movement.
- Contains the blend of 6 enzymes that aid the digestive system
- 5 lactobacillus strains
- Made from natural ingredients
- Contains no fillers, artificial preservatives, or grains
- Reduces diarrhea, vomiting, and upset stomach
4. Best Probiotics for Dog Allergies – Zesty Paws
Gut imbalances are most time the causes of allergies, and it would be smart enough to tackle the issue of allergies. Therefore, the Zesty paws have been identified as the best probiotics for dogs suffering from allergies.
This formula has been made from the combination of a robust blend of probiotics and essential supplements to promote gut and immune health. Pet owners aid a powerful 5-strain blend of probiotics and contain natural prebiotics to aid stomach comfort and healthy gut flora.
The ingredients that make up this product have been carefully selected to ease allergies and to promote the healthy-living of your furry friend. Salmon oil in this formula is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids that aids the skin and coat health, aids joints in adult pets, and promote healthy heart functions.
Apple cider vinegar contains natural properties that aid the gastrointestinal bacteria and promotes a healthy immune system. Additionally, colostrum being milk contains powerful compounds that support immune function and aids digestion overall.
Furthermore, this formula contains over 250 million CFU from 5 strains. Epicor, which is a supplement blend of fiber, antioxidants, and essential vitamins, aid the immune system. There are no artificial preservatives, no soy, contains no grain. There is no need for cooking with heat to preserve ingredient integrity.
- Contains probiotics and prebiotics
- Colostrum a milk, aids digestion
- Contains no artificial preservatives, grain-free, and soy-free
- There is wild Alaskan salmon oil
- Made of natural ingredients
5. Best Powdered Dog Probiotics – Pet Ultimates
Do you have a pet that is suffering from stomach problems, gas, and diarrhea, while equally being picky? Then, you need not worry, Pet Ultimates is our tasteless powder formula which dispenses in seconds, and for each meal improves your pet health.
You also need not worry about forcing your pets to take treats and tablets; this product solves all those problems. Your pet would need a tiny scoop each day, and each contains 2 billion CFUs, which is so amazing.
This product’s ingredients have been carefully selected to include all the essential nutrients for health and soundness. There are twenty-two different species of bacteria, and their function is to aid bowel movement and to ease digestion.
Additionally, this formula contains probiotics inulin, which serves as a daily supplement for promoting health. There is a constituent of protective microorganisms in the probiotics that aid the colon against mucosal inflammation and other several infections.
Pet owners need to know that this product does not contain artificial preservatives, no soy, no wheat, no fillers. This choice of the formula is appropriate for dogs that don’t respond to probiotic strains. The abundance of healthy bacteria would aid the digestive system of your furry friend.
- Each scoop contains 2 billion CFUs
- Contains no artificial preservatives and flavors
- Prebiotic inulin present in this formula
- It is a tasteless powder
- Supports healthy digestion and bowel movement
6. Best Chewable Dog Probiotics – PetVitalityPRO
Giving your pets formulated probiotics is the best way to restore and maintain the microbe in their stomach. PetVitalityPRO is available to give your pooch the premium treat as the best chewable dog probiotics.
This premium plus contains papaya and maqui extract. It is fluffy, tasty, duck-flavored, and greenish in nature, with all these qualities, your canine is naturally drawn to gladly enjoy the supplement. Also, it contains 20 active ingredients that boost the overall wellness of your pooch.
It is veterinarian-approved with 100 percent quality. It controls and treats your pet’s gut from infections, which could result in stomach upset, throwing up, bloating, and diarrhea.
Also, you don’t want your pooch to experience indigestion. Hence, the treat contains antioxidants and enzymes that naturally speeds up the rate of digestion. Additionally, these probiotics best solve allergies and contain vitamins and minerals that promote your pooch’s coat and skin.
Available antioxidants in this supplement help boost the health of your aging pooch and boost the immune system of your young pup. Furthermore, this serves as a supplement for all vital minerals and vitamins lacking in your pet’s system and stops any further health problems from reoccurring.
- Promotes healthy skin and coat
- Increase gastrointestinal wellbeing
- Boost energy and stability
- Restores digestive track
- Made in the USA
7. Best Soft Chew Dog Review – Doggie Daillies
Probiotic can serve as a life-changer for your pooch. Thus, it is necessary to give them the best. Doggie Dailies Probiotics for Dog is the best soft chew for your furry friend, which supplies your canine with a billion CFUs that eliminate all forms of bowel diseases and food allergies.
The supplement is duck flavored and specially produced to boost your pooch’s immune system and promote good health. It helps regulate your pet’s body system and can be used for both young and old canine regardless of breed and size.
Doggie Dailies is veterinarian-approved and contains five effective ingredients. First is, Lactobacillus Acidophilus which helps the reproduction of healthy bacteria that supports internal balance and helps promote healthy skin and coat.
The Lactobacillus Plantarum eliminates toxins, improves the canine immune system, and stops the infection. The Lactobacillus Brevis maintains the immune system and aids proper digestion, alongside is Lactobacillus Lactis, which is an active probiotic that stops the growth of unwanted bacteria. Lactobacillus Fermentum is available to eliminate yeast infection in your pooch.
Furthermore, the prebiotic called Fructooligosaccharide works with probiotics to effectively destroy harmful bacteria in your pet’s stomach. Giving your pet a daily dosage of this will relieve him of bloating, constipation, and diarrhea. Additionally, this supplement helps your pooch’s psychological wellness and dental health.
- Grain-free, duck flavored, easy to eat
- Contains five effective probiotic ingredients
- Safe for old and young canine
- Helps prevent infection
- Boost immune system
8. Best Non-Diary Probiotic for Dogs – VetriScience Laboratories
Have you been on the look for an effective probiotic for your furry family member? Then, the VetriScience laboratories are the best non-dairy comes in capsules, so that your pet could swallow at once. The supplement goes well for canine with food allergies and digestive issues. Each capsule has 5 billion microorganisms, which source is purely natural and healthy for your pet’s general wellbeing.
VetriScience probiotics are vet-approved and contain prebiotics to repair digestive tracks wellness. This supplement is suitable for strengthening the digestive tracks and treat the adverse effects which antibiotics could create in your pooch. Also, your fragile pup can often experience bowel distress as a result of a journey or long outings. Thus, this product helps take care of the problem.
Additionally, this gives your pet the needed nutrients for good health and boosts the immune system, and the blends of 7 healthy bacteria and a prebiotic are present. These features enhance a good neurological system, gives perfect growth, and eliminates harmful bacteria.
Also, the good bacteria in this product include Lactobacilli that combats infection and preserve the stomach lining. Bifidobacterial makes your pet’s gut inconducive for harmful bacteria. Streptococcus thermophilus produces lactic acid that stops the free access of harmful bacteria into your pooch’s guts.
- Contains 7 beneficial probiotics
- Maintains healthy skin and coat
- Helps regulate and normalize digestive tracks
- Prevents constipation and bloating
- Contains essential nutrients and vitamins
9. Best Natural Probiotics for Dogs – Nusentia
If you need natural probiotics for your furry friend, then, Nusentia is the best natural for your pet. This formula is made of natural products to aid digestion, eliminate stooling, and prevent gas.
Also, it has been used for over a million pets, and it is approved for pets by top veterinarians and pet owners. The product is a premium choice for pets of all ages, and each scoop of this treat contains 1 billion CFUs of species-appropriate probiotics.
Pet owners should know that their dog’s comfort is the ultimate aim of this product, so it has been made from natural products. Every jar of this product contains 360 billion CFUs and six probiotic strain, which work together to improve a pet’s health and aid the digestive system.
Furthermore, there are high-quality, powerful supplements, which support the digestive system of pets. And could eliminate diarrhea, vomiting, body odor, and skin problems that are usually associated with digestive problems.
Importantly, this probiotic miracle for dog is made from all-natural ingredients and contains no artificial preservative nor preservative, no sugar, free of gluten, no rice, and no dairy. These exemptions make it a premium choice for pets.
Additionally, this formula comes in powder form, and it is appropriate for picky pets, and you don’t have to force pets to take the tablets.
- Veterinarians and pet parents approved
- 6 probiotic strains that aids the digestive system
- Contains premium, and high-quality supplement
- It contains no rice, no maltodextrin, no gluten
- Made of all-natural ingredients
10. Best Probiotics for Senior Dogs – Amazing Nutritionals
New problems could begin to pop up as your furry friend gets older. Some of the problems could be digestive system problems, which could be associated with diarrhea, vomiting, and loose of appetite. Additionally, there could be joint pains, arthritis, and weakness of the body.
The Amazing Nutritional have formulated the best probiotics for your senior pet to keep him healthy and reduce the sicknesses that come with age. This treat is perfect for dogs that don’t like taking pills or tablets, and it would not harden into clumps like powders.
This product works as the gas busters for dogs and contains 7 billion chewable CFUs to enhances the health of your old pet. Salmon oil is an essential ingredient in this formula, which is the source of Omega-3 fatty acids and aids healthy and shiny skin and coat.
There are healthy enzymes, dog yeasts, chondroitin, and glucosamine for dogs, that are all aimed at improving your pet’s health, and relieve pains at the joints. Probiotics supplements and acidophilus eliminates constipation, loose bowels, and dog itching.
Adult dogs might sometimes suffer from allergies to certain foods, so it contains no wheat, no soy, no egg, gluten-free, and no artificial preservatives. It contains glucosamine and chondroitin, which ease arthritis and supports the joints. Additionally, the formula contains no fish, no crab, no avocado.
- Vet approved for adult dogs
- Contains no poultry by-products, gluten-free, grain-free
- Support the joints of senior pet
- Bacon liver flavored chewable tablets
- Supports healthy canine skin and coat
Why Probiotics are Needed for Dogs?
For many reasons, dog probiotics have always been prescribed by vets for preventing any future risk of low immunity or other health conditions. There are still some conditions when giving probiotics to your dog is very crucial, such as:
- If your dog has low immunity, the good bacteria and microorganisms present in probiotics help him boost his immunity and gut health.
- Dogs need probiotics when they are recovering from injury, antibiotic courses, or other serious illnesses. Such good bacteria help in the healing process as well and recovers your pup’s help faster.
- When your dog lacks good bacteria and the gut health starts declining, they show symptoms such as bad breath, stomach disturbances, diarrhea etc. To which you should immediately pay attention and start him on a probiotics course.
- Some dog breeds generally lack good bacteria and are very susceptible to any Gastrointestinal illness. So, to prevent that it’s crucial that you start such dogs on probiotics from an early age.
How do Dog Probiotics Work?
Dog probiotics are made in a form of a healthy combination containing good bacteria, flora, and microorganisms. These live strains of bacteria promote digestive health and help your dog digest more nutrients that boosts his health.
A dog’s immunity is generally gut based, so if you are caring about his gut health, you are indirectly caring for his overall immunity as well.
These bacteria also eliminate harmful substances or toxins that might get into his gut through some sources and prevent and damage from that. Such action is carried out through these good bacteria by secreting short chain fatty acids, which in turn doesn’t let any harmful bacterial colonies grow in your pup’s body.
Through such biological mechanisms, the bacteria itself doesn’t harm the dog’s health, instead they function to boost your dog’s immunity.
How do I know if My Dog Needs Probiotics?
Being a pet parent, you can clearly identify when your dog isn’t feeling quite well. Still to make sure what is disturbing him and if he needs probiotics or not, have a look at the below mentioned conditions that clearly indicate a need of probiotics course for settling your dog’s health.
- Low Energy: You can get worried if you are giving your dog a healthy and energizing diet but still, he doesn’t stay so active. Such concerns can be prevented with use of probiotics, as many harmful bacterial growths in the gut takes up all the nutrition you give your dog without letting those through his circulation. With good bacteria, you can get rid of any harmful bacterial colonies and can ensure that your dog is utilizing what he is eating.
- Diarrhea: Diarrhea is caused when the food doesn’t get properly digested in the gut and passes through it too fast. To make sure that the food you are feeding, stays in the gut for a complete digestion, you need to start your dog on probiotics.
- Weakness: Weakness can be a clear signal of your pup not getting all the nutrients that he needs, but you are feeding him a perfect diet, what explains the weakness then? Generally, many good bacteria are responsible for digesting and absorbing nutrients into the blood circulation, and without them, those nutrients can pass in the stool without being absorbed. So, to make sure that your dog’s gut doesn’t lack any good bacteria, you should definitely start him on probiotics.
- Skin Itches and Hair Shed: When your dog is healthy, it clearly reflects on his coat. The shinier and healthier your pup’s coat, the more you can be sure of his health. So, if you see your dog itching a lot or experience hair shed more than usual, it has got to do something with his gut. So, starting him on probiotics in such cases can be the best regimen overall.
How to Offer Dogs a Probiotic?
When you decide to give your dogs a probiotic treatment, you must know what way they will easily eat them. Offering a probiotic can be a challenge if they are too picky in what they eat and smell everything for familiarity. For that purpose, probiotics are available in several forms to make sure that you can offer your dog such supplements easily.
Chewable Supplements: Such supplements are the best if your dog can swallow whatever you feed them. Such dogs who are not very specific in their diet, can be easily offered these chewable supplements.
Powdered Supplement: If you face difficulty in offering your dog a chewable tablet, then you must go with this option. These powdered forms are tasteless and odorless so that you can easily mix them in your dog’s food, and he’ll eat without noting any difference.
Capsules: Capsules are also made for picky eaters. A capsule is much convenient if your struggle in measuring a proper amount for powdered ones. You can just open up the capsules as per the dosage of one or two capsules and mix its contents in your dog’s food without worrying about measuring the powdered.
Dog Probiotics vs. Dog Prebiotics
People can often confuse these two different supplements on the basis of similar names. In general, both probiotics and prebiotics work in promoting your dog’s health, but in a separate way. Following mentioned are the main differences both these classes have.
|#||Dog Probiotics||Dog Prebiotics|
|1||They are live bacteria and flora that are good for a dog’s health.||These are nutritional plant fibers that enhance the growth of good bacteria.|
|2||These are administered to grow themselves inside the gut and replicate.||These are administered to enhance the growth of already present microbes living in your dog’s gut.|
|3||These are multiple bacteria and microorganisms which doesn’t harm your dog in any way.||These are foods such as soy beans, bananas, beet pulp, oats and other fiber containing dietary sources.|
|4||They are mostly given in combination with prebiotics||They can be given alone to help the naturally existing bacteria in your dog’s gastrointestinal system.|
Both the probiotics and prebiotics are essential for a dog’s health and none has superiority over the other. But you must know when to give either of them.
If your dog is very ill and hasn’t been responding to prebiotics only, means he has not enough good bacteria left in this gut. For such instances, probiotics along with prebiotics are the best combination in improving a dog’s health.
Different Types of Probiotics for Dogs
Probiotics have multiple varieties these days, but the most common ones have the following three categories as a must. So, let’s find out more about them.
- Dairy-Based: Such probiotics basically contain Lactobacillus or Bifidobacterium. Lactobacillus helps in converting milk sugar to lactic acid and hence improves milk digestion. While the Bifidobacterium itself is capable of secreting lactic acid and gets rid of harmful bacterial colonies in the gut.
- Yeast Species: This type generally contains Saccharomyces boulardii. This specie being a yeast instead of bacteria, still functions well as a probiotic. The main feature is that they don’t get killed with antibiotics, so you can continue it even while your dog is on an antibiotic treatment. They are very well known to treat diarrheal and other infections along with bowel inflammations.
- Spore Forming: These probiotics are usually strain of soil-based bacteria such as Bacillus, which are mostly found in soil or water. This type is best for dogs who are allergic to substances such as dairy products. Other than that, the hard coat that these bacterial spores form around themselves, help the bacteria survive any antibiotic treatment that your dog is taking. These strains improve antioxidant production and heals inflammation. They also have proven effects in treating urinary tract infections and also helps in productions of antibodies for strengthening immunity.
Things to Consider When Buying Dog Probiotics
Buying a product that is related to your pup’s health can be a risk if you don’t pay attention to the factors which determine the quality of that product. So, while looking for the best probiotic, you must consider the below mentioned factor to get the perfect product for your dog’s health.
Amount of CFUs
CFUs (Colony Forming Units) are one of the basic factors that determine the efficacy of a probiotic. It is very well known that the product will have more positive outcomes if it contains millions or billions of CFUs.
However, you must remember that the number of CFUs written on the package is not per dosage, but it tells you about the total pack weightage of consisting CFUs.
Diverse Bacterial Strains
As discussed before, a variety of strains may not provide the effect that you are looking for. Instead, if you start your dog on fewer strains first as a beginning can be more effective than any other option. You can switch him on a wider variety later on when he has adapted to the probiotic treatment.
Also, make sure the mix has Lactobacilli strains and Bifidobacterium as a must, because we have found reported positive effects from both of these.
Potential Brand Guarantee
When you are buying a probiotic that you expect to help your dog grow healthier, then you should never compromise on brands. Legit producers and manufacturers have much proven lab researches for providing the best bacterial combinations. Most preferred probiotics are the ones which are made in USA.
A product’s shelf life plays important role in efficiency of the bacteria inside. The products which have lesser shelf lives, don’t stay as effective as they should be. Live bacterial strains can be damaged if the product is left unused for a long time.
If you wish to buy more at a time, then look for a product which can be stored in pantry and doesn’t require refrigeration. We still recommend buying a small pack first for trying it, rather than wasting a big pack later if it doesn’t suit your dog. However, it is recommended to get a product that is refrigerated or frozen, to make sure of the bacterial potency.
Clear information about the ingredients and bacterial strains that probiotic product has is very crucial. The product must have a clear description about lab information and any additives it might have. Reading all this is important for ruling out any factor related to causing any side effects to your dog. Many dog breeds are allergic to some substance which you must avoid in their food and supplements as well.
Probiotic supplements that come with digestive enzymes or multi-vitamins are more functional nutritionally than a plain product. All these nutritional elements possess their separate importance which when combined, gives your dog health and energy which he can enjoy long term in his life.
Also, as a tip, if you can’t find any supplement that has additional nutrients as well, then you can pair a simple probiotic with prebiotics or multivitamins. These products when used together, are known to have quite significant results.
Benefits of Using Probiotics for Dogs
We’ve heard about the general health benefits of probiotics everywhere, but what it does specifically? Here we will be discussing some major benefits below.
- Treatment of GIT Inflammations: Many toxins when accumulating in the gastrointestinal tract, can irritate the mucous lining and cause inflammation. Good bacteria present in probiotics, in such cases, form colonies and produce short chain fatty acids (SCFAs) to get rid of such toxins and harmful bacteria.
- Boosts Immunity: The gut of a dog basically has many tracts of lymphatic vessels as well, which has many antibodies running through them. With good bacteria in the gut that promotes antibody production and fights disease-causing elements, general immunity of your dog gets automatically boosted.
- Prevents Allergic Reactions: Allergens can cause reactions if they can easily get past the intestinal lining of your dog’s gut. Probiotics strengthen the intestinal lining and prevent any allergic substances from reaching the main blood circulation.
- Helps in Preventing Urinary Tract Infections: If some pathogens are circulating around the system, there is a high risk that they might also infect kidneys and cause urinary tract infection in your dog which is very painful. Such toxic pathogens mainly get dislodged from gut itself, so if you let the probiotics destroy them in the first place, you can prevent any risk of UTIs in the future.
Risk Consideration of Dog Probiotics
Probiotics are not a risk if used carefully, but if you do not pay attention to the following mentioned factors, the results can be risky. Let’s discuss more.
- People think that a product having multiple strains of bacteria can be more useful. While the truth is that too many strains when reach your dog’s gut, tend to kill each other and none can perform its function well. Hence the results are not very effective. Instead, if you choose to buy particular strain probiotics, they tend to be more functional.
- Start the dosage from the minimum amount. To avoid any adverse reactions, you can start the dosage with 1/4th quantity for a week, then increase it to half and then if the tolerance has developed, you can follow the regular dose.
- Always look out for any side effects or worsening of the condition. If you experience any such thing, stop the supplements immediately and visit your vet.
- You must know how to store the probiotic supplements you bought. It is clearly written on the package if the product can survive in the pantry or you must refrigerate it.
- The products that are frozen tend to last longer and are much effective as well.
- If you have left a product outside for hours that was supposed to be refrigerated, then discard it immediately because it can’t be used any longer.
- Avoid letting any moisture in the package if the supplement is in powdered form, or the bacteria will lose it’s effective.
Before starting your dog on any type of probiotic, it is important to know how you must deal with it. For the safety and effectiveness of the product, It’s important that you pay attention to the following concerns while putting your dog on a probiotic treatment.
- You must always know what type of live bacterial strain the product has which you are going to buy.
- Try buying supplements that have fewer bacterial strains only, as multiple strains can end up worsening the condition.
- Always read about the bacterial life span of the specie your probiotic So that you can administer your dog when the bacteria are in good condition.
- Make sure to confirm the daily dosage with your veterinarian, as the dosage can vary with size, weight, and breed of the dog.
- Expired probiotics can be a nightmare! So always make sure you discard the package when it reaches or is near to the expiry date mentioned on the product.
With correct knowledge of administration and buying the best product, not only can you prevent your dog from any diseases, but can also improve his healthy lifestyle.
Having your dog started on the probiotic supplements will relieve you from multiple veterinarian visits while ensuring your dog’s well-being.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a dog probiotic?
It is a supplement that contains live bacteria which are good for your dog’s overall health. These bacteria are naturally present in your dog’s gut, but even a slightest imbalance can weaken your pup’s immunity. So, to prevent any such instance, keeping your dog on a probiotic diet is very essential.
What is the best effective probiotic for dogs?
Purina Fortiflora Canine Nutritional Supplement is the best and number 1 probiotic recommended by veterinarians. It works wonders for both puppies and adult dogs. Also, it is very efficient in treating diarrhea and other Gastrointestinal disturbances. This product’s components have gone through a procedure called microencapsulation, to make sure of the product’s stability.
Is dog probiotic different than human probiotics?
The bacterial strains can be almost similar in both dog and human probiotics. But the ones designed for dogs are specially according to the dog’s body physiology. These are made specially to withstand the stomach acid and other factors that might damage normal human probiotics.
Can I give my dog probiotics for human instead?
It is not really recommended as probiotics are specially designed for a dog’s internal mechanism. Human probiotics might not be as effective as specific dog probiotics. However, some human probiotics can still be given to dogs but with precise dosage measurements.
Do probiotics really work for dogs?
Of course! Probiotics are not only used for treating gut diseases or inflammations but can also be used as a general health supplement. You can clearly feel the difference in your pup’s coat health and overall activeness with regular use, which keeps him healthy and prevents any serious disease.
What is the best probiotic for allergies?
Zesty Paws Allergy Immune Supplement for Dogs is the best probiotic supplement which has no common allergen. It comes with proteins, vitamins, fibers, and multivitamins as an additional healthy effect. It contains Colostrum, a milk form of antibodies, that prevent any allergies. It also has fish oil that contains Omega 3 for boosting immunity.
Can I give my dog probiotics every day?
Yes, you can feed your dog probiotic supplements every day. The only concern should be about the right dosage, and you don’t have to worry about anything else.
Is it possible for my dog to suffer from diarrhea after probiotics intake?
It isn’t a usual case as probiotics are meant to treat diarrhea. But in some cases where the condition worsens or gets more disturbed and results in diarrhea, you must stop the stop the supplements immediately and visit a vet.
What are the foods containing naturally occurring probiotics?
Many daily routine products have a fair number of probiotics in them. These are termed as naturally occurring probiotics. Such food items which are rich in probiotics are Yogurt, sauerkraut, kefir, miso, tempeh, pickles, kimchi, cheese, and some sourdough bread.
What is the best natural probiotic for dogs?
Nusentia Probiotic Miracle is the number one trusted brand in USA and highly recommended by veterinarians. The product is 100% natural with no byproducts, flavorings, or any additives. It also doesn’t contain rice, Maltodextrin, Gluten, GMO, Dairy, Soy, or any fillers.
Are probiotics helpful for dog immunity?
Absolutely. If you want to enhance your dog’s immunity, probiotics should be your first choice. The good bacteria not only enhance digestion or get rid or harmful bacteria and toxins, but it also produces antibody regulating factors along with antioxidants. These substances can easily get absorbed into the gut lymphatics and regulate the general immunity of your dog.