A small dog crate is simply a home inside a home. It needs to be a comfortable yet safe space for your dog. It serves your dog in many ways. For instance, it can be used to; house train your dog, provide enough space for your dog, keep your dog safe, and minimize dog destruction while teething.
However, it should never be used to punish your dog by confining him longer than he can bear. Your dog should be released to play and exercise outside the crate. Usually, dog crates are available in different forms and materials. They are made from metal, furniture, heavy-duty, soft-sided, and plastic materials.
Choosing the right one for your dog might seem daunting for the fact that the market is flooded with different brands. For this reason, we partnered with pet experts to create a list of 10 best small dog crates with the necessary buying guide in order to help you decide better.
|Image||Product Name||Key Features|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
Best Small Dog Crates in 2021 – Reviews
1. Our Top Pick – MidWest Homes for Pets Small Crate
This portable designed dog training crate will ensure safety, comfort, convenience, and security to your dog.
The best small crate is manufactured by MidWest Homes for pets and is considered as the best on our list. It consists of all the features that you require in a dog crate.
A dog crate is an important tool when it comes to training. It helps the trainer to teach his or her dog the right behavior. Besides, it brings a sense of security and comfort to the dog. To be precise, you can consider this dog crate to be the sanctuary of your dog.
One thing you must make sure that you are training your puppy precisely. Try to encourage your dog to consider the crate to be its home. Once you can do that, you will find out that your dog will find comfort in it.
However, make sure that you are not forcing your dog. Forcing to go to the crate will be stressful for your dog. With the help of this extra small dog kennel, you can transport your dog to other places as well.
For instance, if you have to travel for a long time, you can take your dog with you. The size of the dog doesn’t matter as it comes with a divider panel. That divided panel will allow you to adjust the size of the crate.
So, you can see that this crate is also compatible with growing puppies. The quality of this dog crate is also supreme. To ensure the comfort and safety of your dog, the manufactures took all the necessary quality control steps.
- Quite a durable product
- The double folding crate is perfect for toy dogs
- Also, it is quite easy-to-assemble
- Design is perfect for traveling
- Length is 18Lx12Wx14H inches
2. Runner Up – AmazonBasics Folding Small Metal Dog Crate
If you are looking for a crate that is compatible with both puppies and big dogs, then this metal folding crate is for you.
AmazonBasics Folding Small Metal Dog Crate, apart from being a dog crate, this product is also a convenient training tool. We have considered it as the runner-up in our list.
You can use this crate for various forms of training, like house training and potty training. You don’t have to bother about the safety of your dog, as it is a robust product.
The divider panel is one of the interesting features of this crate. It will allow you to adjust the size of your crate according to the size of your dog. It is a common fact that your puppy will grow and will need a longer place to live.
Also, this dog crate comes with a washable and removable plastic pan. You will find it at the bottom of the crate. This plastic pan will help you to clean the crate during water spills.
Besides, it will be quite useful if your dog goes through an accident. Also, you can consider this dog crate to be a convenient option for traveling. The weight of the package is 5.01 kilograms.
- It comes with two slide-bolt door latches
- You can fold it flat for easy portability
- The sturdy metal construction makes it durable and strong
- Measurement is 22Lx13Wx16H inches
- Perfect for toy breeds and extra-small breeds
3. Best Budget – Petnation Small Dog Crate
This easy-to-carry and easy-to-clean dog crate can help you to take your dog with you, wherever you want.
PetNation Port-A-Crate is the best budget crate for small dogs. One of the best parts of this product is that it is quite budget-friendly. You don’t have to worry about the big hurricane in your pocket. You will get this crate at the most reasonable price.
Besides, the quality of this crate will not disappoint you. The crafters used the best quality of the materials to develop this dog crate. It comes with two doors. One is the front door, and the other one is the top. These two doors will provide easier access to the crate.
Besides, the mesh window will provide your dog with the required view as well as ventilation. So, you can comprehend that this crate is comfortable for your dog. Also, if you can incorporate an orthopedic pet bed to the crate, it will be more comfortable for the dog.
Measure the length of your dog before buying a crate. It will help you to make the right decision. Well, this product comes in six different sizes and amongst you have to choose the preferable one.
- A lightweight crate that is easy-to-carry
- Capable of taking weight up to 25lbs
- Fold it in seconds without any tools
- Comes with an extra-strong steel frame
- Length of the crate is 24x16x16 inches
4. Best Travel Crate for Small Dogs – AmazonBasics Crate
If you are seeking a heavy-duty dog crate, then AmazonBasics is one of the best small travel dog crates you can find in the market. The heavy-duty design makes it a convenient dog crate.
It will ensure the safety, security, strength, as well as visibility of the dog. Also, you will find a lot of ventilation in this dog kennel. To be specific, they are present on the top, back, and sides of this crate.
One of the unique features of this dog crate is that you can open the top door to both left and right. Also, your pet can enter the kennel easily, and that will help it to release stress. Whenever you are traveling with your pet, this crate will keep your puppy safe, comfortable, and secured.
For instance, you can use this kennel during the routine visits to your vet. Similarly, this product will serve your purpose during hikes and other outings as well. The package that you will receive will be 1.38 kilograms only.
- Top and bottom are attachable with the screw
- Loaded spring on the latch ensures a smooth opening
- The top door of the crate comprises latches and handles
- Toy breeds and extra-small dogs are best compatible with this kennel
- Dimension of this product is 18.5×12.68×6.38 inches
5. Best Small Metal Dog Crate – Paws & Pals Crate
Paws and Pals crate is undoubtedly one of the best small metal dog crates. It is a spacious kennel where you can keep your dog easily. Be it a toy, small or extra-small dogs; it will serve your purpose without any problems.
Besides, when it comes to storing this crate, you can keep it in your room. It will not take much space. This product is so compact that you can mistake it for your suitcase, accidentally.
Also, if your dog has a tendency of chewing, you don’t have to worry about it. It is a robust product that will have no effect on chewing.
The crafters used solid steel to develop this product, and that makes it a strong product. The high tensile strength wire further enhances the robustness of this crate.
The weight of the package is also considerable. It weighs 3.1 kilograms, which is quite reasonable. Besides, the dimension of this crate is 20Lx13Lx16L inches. Therefore, if you are planning to buy Paws & Pals crate, it will be the right decision.
- A durable & robust product
- Do not need any tools to set up this crate
- Design is pretty attractive and space-saving
- Black electro quote finish makes it a strong crate
- No sharp edges, which ensure the dog’s safety
6. Best Small Wooden Dog Crates – Casual Home Crate
If you are looking for a permanent wooden crate, then you should consider Casual Home Crate because it is one of the best wooden crates for small dogs. This elegant looking crate is constructed from solid wood, which makes it strong and long-lasting.
The wood is also chew-resistant, so you don’t have to worry if your dog is an aggressive chewer. The ample space and enough headroom will allow your dog to stay and relax inside the crate comfortably.
Also, this advanced style dog crate has a sturdy lockable gate that lets you stay stress-free when you are not in your home. The open slats style allows a perfect airflow and keeps the interior cold and fresh.
Besides, the end table design and luxurious finish of the crate easily blends with other furniture and complements the home décor. It provides extra storage space like any other small table.
The wooden crate is engineered in such a way that it is easy to assemble. It is available in three beautiful colors that will surely add a classic touch to your home interior.
- Solid wood used for durability
- Chew-resistant material to avoid easy damage
- Secure lock to keep you stress-free
- Easy to assemble and lightweight
- End table design provides extra storage space
7. Best Small Plastic Dog Crate – Petmate Crate
Petmate crate is the best plastic crate for small dogs to go for if you are searching for an affordable and convenient crate for your pet. This highly durable kennel is made from hard plastic, and it is much lighter than wood or metal crates.
Besides, the plastic material is environment friendly, and they do not exude harmful fumes. So, your dog can rest peacefully inside the crate. The unique top-loading design makes it much easier to put your dog in and out.
The doors have a double trigger lock, which means your dog can’t escape once they are locked in. The vented doors and walls of the crate allow perfect airflow so that your dog can stay and relax comfortably. It also lets your dog see what is going on outside.
The ergonomic handle with comfort grip makes carrying and transporting painless. Moreover, the Petmate crate meets all airlines cargo specifications, and you won’t face any problem in taking your pet with you while travelling.
- Sturdy and durable plastic used
- Top loading door to put and remove pet easily
- Ventilated doors and walls for proper airflow
- Lightweight and easy to transport
- Secure and safe double trigger lock
8. Best Small Soft Dog Crate – EliteField 3-Door Folding Crate
EliteField 3 door folding crate is considered as the best small soft dog crate because it is easy to set-up, fold, port and store anywhere. The crate frames are made from sturdy steel tube, and the cover is crafted from premium quality 600D fabrics and hex mesh fabric, which makes the crate durable.
It is equipped with 3 mesh doors that provide great ventilation and extra light inside the crate for breathability. It also has two large size pockets to store your dog’s essential items like treats, toys, etc. The zipper closure makes it easy to use and allows getting in and out easy for your dog.
Besides, it has built-in handles to make it easy to port. The handles are smoothly adjustable and have a padded shoulder strap. It comes with a soft fleece bed to provide the best comfort to your dog. The soft floor bed is easily removable and can be put inside a washing machine to clean. The crate is available in multiple size and colors to match your needs, so do check properly before purchasing.
- Strong steel tube and 600D fabric used for longevity
- 3 mesh doors make it easy-to-use
- Hex mesh fabric provides ventilation and sunlight
- Built-in handles to carry effortlessly
- Removable and machine washable soft fleece bed
9. Best Heavy-Duty Small Dog Crate – Aspen Pet Crate
Aspen pet crate is the best heavy-duty small dog crate for people who like traveling with their pet everywhere. If you are looking for a crate that is both stylish and strong, then Aspen crate is the right choice for you. It is made from heavy-duty non-toxic plastic to last long.
In addition, the non-corrosion and chew-resistant metal door is a bonus for pet owners. The door latch is almost impossible for your pet to unlock; therefore, you need not to worry about your pet’s safety. They will stay secure and safe inside the crate.
The crate has ventilation on all sides to keep the temperature fresh and offers plenty of visibility. The lightweight design of the crate allows you to travel with ease. It is equipped with a grip handle to carry the crate everywhere.
It also has a seat belt for small size dogs and storage compartments. The plastic crate is easy-to-assemble and clean. Moreover, it has 9 different sizes and 13 different colors to offer. So, you can easily buy the right size and color that suits your need. The Aspen pet crate fulfills all the airline’s cargo specifications for smooth and comfortable travel.
- Made with heavy-duty plastic for durability
- Metal door for extra safety
- Ventilation for proper airflow and visibility
- Equipped with a handle, seat belt, storage compartment, etc.
- Easy to clean and assemble
10. Best Small Folding Dog Crate – New World Crate
The New World crates are the best small folding dog crate you will find in the market. The crate is manufactured with the best quality non-corrosive metal that is strong and durable.
This folding metal construction is easy-to-assemble without any hardware tools and smoothly folds flat for convenient use. The practical design of the crate allows you to store it in compact spaces and carry it anywhere you want.
The crate has large size doors, which allows your dog to get in and out without much trouble. Moreover, the secure slide-bolt latches ensure safety and reliable environment for your dog. It keeps your dog secure inside while you are away.
The robust wire design throughout the crate provides excellent ventilation and visibility. The New World crate also comes with a removable leak-proof plastic pan.
The pan is deep enough and holds solid or liquid dirt effectively to keep your floor clean. You can simply unhook to remove the pan and clean it.
- Premium quality non-corrosion metal used to last longer
- Available in double door design
- Easy-to-assemble without any tools
- Smoothly folds in no time
- Heavy-duty slide-bolt latches for safety
Why Should You Buy a Small Dog Crate?
Dogs are known to be den animals and prefer having their own space. Apart from mental and emotional benefits, crates make it easier to house train and prevent your dog from troubles when you are not there to supervise.
They are also capable of solving behavioral problems like barking and chewing. It is difficult as a new dog owner to know everything to look at. A crate will provide your dog with its own space where he can feel secure and safe.
It is also effective for training your dog. It helps keeps your environment and furniture intact while you are not around. While away, crates are also used to transport your dog easily. A crate is a necessary requirement for small dog owners.
Moreover, a crate is a great tool for training and traveling. It allows dog owners to create a safe and dedicated space for dogs that can be fit for different purposes. With a crate, your dog can be your companion anytime, anywhere.
Create also limit your dog’s movement while he was injured or sick. Likewise, it can a safe and peaceful space that prevents possible embarrassment when you are with important guests or visitors.
How to Measure the Proper Size of a Small Crate?
If you are using a crate or kennel to transport your dog, train him, or give him space, the crate or kennel needs to fit the dog. A crate that is too small can make the dog uncomfortable, while the one that is too large can make him feel unsafe.
To find a perfect crate for small dogs, you need their weight, length, and height. To properly measure the size of a small dog crate, follow the detailed explanation below:
- Length of dog crate: While the dog is standing, measure the size from nose to tail (do not measure the full length of the tail as this will give an excess size). Add two to four inches to the measurement to get the best length for your dog.
- Height of crate: While your dog is sitting, measure from the top of the dog’s head to the floor. Also, add two to four inches to the measurement for proper length.
- Width of the crate: This is not necessarily needed as it is based on the height and length measurement of the dog crate.
- Weight limit: Check to make sure that your dog is within the recommended weight for the crate. Otherwise, you might break or damage the crate.
How to Introduce My Puppy to Use a Small Crate?
There are steps to take to properly introduce your dog to a crate. Some of them include:
- Choose the right size: Size is a very important factor that allows your dog to get accustomed to his crate. No matter the kind of crate you choose for your puppy, it is necessary that you pay more attention to dimensions. A crate should be spacious enough for a puppy to sit, turn around, and lie down comfortably. A small or tight crate will make your puppy feel uncomfortable and cramped. While a crate that is too large will not be suitable for your puppy. Therefore, choose the size that is appropriate for your dog.
- Make it comfortable: Try to make the crate comfortable before introducing your puppy to it. Some puppies will not feel comfortable spending time on the hot or cold crate for long. You can add something warm, soft on the floor of the crate. Towels, blankets, and pads will also be great. Likewise, there are different products on the market designed to bribe your puppy. Products like plush toys that allow hot water bottle inside, or fake heartbeat devices that mimic the mother’s heartbeat. Puppy owners have testified to the effectiveness of these products.
- Make it interesting: It is important to make your puppy happy and prevent him from getting bored in the crate. You can put some stuffed animals, squeaky toys, or chew toys in the crate. Put 2 to 3 toys simultaneously for a better result, and change it every two to three days. That way, your puppy will find something interesting and new every time it enters the crate.
- Let the puppy explore: After the crate is prepared, it is time to allow the puppy in. Don’t push the puppy into the crate immediately he sees it. Rather, allow him some time to explore the crate on his own. You can throw some treats inside when you notice the puppy is not ready to step in.
- Shut the door: Once the puppy finds his way into the crate, you can shut the door. Live it inside for short periods and then work up to longer periods. Stay in the room after closing the crate door for the first time.
If you notice the puppy be calm while the door is closed for some time, start stepping out of the room. For the first time, spend a few seconds and then come back into the room. After which you can step out and leave the puppy in the closed crate for longer periods.
Small Dog Crates vs. Large Dog Crates
You need to take note of your dog’s specific size when choosing a crate. Crates come in medium, small, and large sizes. The sizes though tend to differ between brands. It is better to buy a crate based on dog size and bot breed size.
It is also good to take note of different dimensions. While using a dog crate, your dog will lie down, move around, and stand up. He will need enough space to be safe and comfortable. It is, therefore, necessary to decide which crate is perfect for your dog.
- Crates for small dogs: Small breed dogs like Shin Tzu or Pomeranian will size 22-inch crate. Other small breeds like Terriers or Beagles will require a 24-inch crate. However, many small breed dogs vary in size, therefore it is better the select the crate based on dog’s size and not based on breed.
- Crates for large dogs: If you have a larger breed dog, your dog’s crate needs to be more spacious and durable enough to keep your dog secure and safe. Breeds like Golden Retrievers will require a larger crate.
Durability is necessary because even a well-trained and calm dog will put more pressure on the crate than a small or medium dog. Depending on the size and breed, the crate may range from 43 to 54 inches. The size to choose will be based on the age of the dog in case they are still growing.
Different Types of Small Dog Crates
There are different types of dog crates. Each of them has different uses. Let’s take a look at the different types.
- Plastic: Plastic types of crates are available in different sizes, styles, and prices. They are a convenient and popular choice for air and car travel. Most plastic crates are suitable for smaller dogs, though they are also suitable for larger dogs. Plastic crates are easier to maintain and are the perfect choice for dogs that scratch and chew. Though not all plastic crates are made of heavy-duty plastic. They can also accommodate heat quickly even with enough holes for ventilation. Dogs that are reactive to noises and motion can immensely benefit from plastic crates as it has limited visibility that can make them calmer.
- Wireframe: They are popular because most of them are portable and easier to set up. Go for wire products that have rounded edges, secure latches, and heavy-duty wire. It should have a removable plastic pan and should accommodate a dog bed. Try to inspect them to ensure that no wire is rusty or damaged.
- Soft-sided: This is designed for a dog that is calm and ready to be in any space without scratching, panicking, or chewing. Most of them are ideal for travel, though some dog owners use them on a regular basis. Consider the crate with foldable frames, breathable fabric, privacy options, and washable covers for secure feeding.
- Heavy duty: This type of crate has thick steel slats. This is more suitable for dogs that might try to escape or damage their crate. It is a better choice for large breed dogs that are powerful. Get a heavy-duty crate that corrosion or rust-resistant.
- Furniture crates: This type of crate is very popular among dog owners who value fashion. It is available in various styles depending on your budget and the size of your dog. Its common style looks like an end table or cabinet and serves the purpose of dog space and furniture.
It is mainly made of mixed materials with wood as the most common one. Due to the fact that many furniture crates can get scratched easily, it is not advisable for dogs that like to scratch or chew.
Important Features to Consider When Buying a Small Dog Crate
There are features to consider when buying a small dog crate which includes:
A dog crate should not be too small and should not be too big. The size you need for your crate depends on the size and weight of your dog. There are various dimensions for small crates. Make sure the crate you are choosing will comfortably fit your dog.
It is not advisable to choose a crate based on the dog breed, rather more attention should be paid to measurements and whether you expect your dog to grow or not. While your dog is in the crate, there should be enough space for standing up, lying down, and moving around.
The purpose of what to use the crate for is another thing to consider when choosing a crate for your dog. It might be that your dog needs a quiet place to rest, or your puppy needs help with house-training, or just that your dog is struggling with anxiety and needs a secure space.
The kind of crate you choose for your dog depends on the purpose. If your dog is not a trouble type, you might desire something fashionable and less secure. A dog with a challenge like separation anxiety might need a crate that can prevent any escape attempts or scratch and chew by the dog. In this case, it is better to choose an indestructible or tough crate.
The number of crates you need is another factor you have to consider when buying a dog crate. You might need more crate if you travel frequently because it will be stressful to constantly stake down and set up a crate always.
Therefore, you can decide to buy two (one for home use and the other one can be kept in the car). Likewise, when deciding the number of crates you need, you should also consider the number of dogs in your possession that need crating.
There are different types of dog rates including plastic, metal, soft-sided, furniture crate. Each with their own pros and cons. Plastic crates are well insulated and lightweight, however, they are not good for warmer climates.
Wire crates are ideal for ventilation, though some dogs feel uncomfortable and exposed. Soft-sided crates provide cozier feeling and offer protection for your dog, but they wear more easily than others.
Choose a crate that is easy to clean, set up, and store. Crates that are foldable are good for storage and traveling, but it is better to have a crate that is flexible and durable for daily use.
A good number of crates are made for indoor use, if you prefer the outdoor type, it is necessary to check features like airflow, and rust or corrosion resistant.
If you are planning to use it on a plane, it should be able to withstand the loading and unloading movement and should also be comfortable. Before buying a heavy-duty crate for plane use, make sure it meets plane travel requirements for animals.
The cost of the crate is another thing to consider. Many small crates are affordable. it varies in price based on the quality and features of the crate.
Benefits of Using Small Dog Crates
There are many benefits of using a small dog crate. Some of the benefits include:
- Provide enough space: Dog crate provides enough space for your do which makes them more comfortable. They can exercise and play easily within the crate. Likewise, you can arrange essentials for the dog such as food, toys, bed, and water inside the crate. Crates provide security and safety for your dog while you are away from home.
- Keep your dog safe: A crate helps keep your dog safe by providing him a space that serves as a shelter. It includes a roof for shade which protects your dog from excess heat on sunny days and from rain during the rainy season. Crates are designed with a ventilated fence that let your dog take in fresh air to breathe. It also protects your neighbors, family members, and puppies from aggressive dogs.
- Easy to carry while traveling: With crates, you can easily take your dog with you while traveling or away from home. It prevents your dog from damaging your car.
- Make dog training easy: House training of dogs has become easier with crates. You can easily train them by confining them.
- Cheaper than fences: Dog crates are cheaper than fences in all aspects. While dog fences cannot be easily set up, dog crates can be assembled easily. As such, dog crates are the best alternatives for fences.
- Minimize destruction while teething: Apart from toilet training, crates provide a safe place for your teething dog when you are away.
- Do not leave your dog in the crate longer than he bears since the crate is meant for a short period of confinement. Your dog requires more breaks within the day.
- Keep the crate in a place where your dog is protected from harsh temperatures and elements. This is very necessary especially for breeds like Bulldogs, Pugs, and Shih Tzus, St Bernards, Huskies, and Newfoundlands.
- There is a probability that your dog’s collar gets hooked on the crate metal. It is therefore better to untie the collar whenever the dog is in the crate.
- Don’t let strangers or children disturb your dog while in the crate. The crate is meant to be a quiet place for your dog to relax and rest, it is therefore not ideal to have confined in a place where he is taunted and teased.
- Don’t leave your dog alone unsupervised. They are prone to heatstroke or harassment.
- Dog crate doors need not be closed always if you have trained the dog well. Your dog will find his way to the crate and rest. However, if are training a dog that is known to be a destructive chewer, go for a durable metal crate.
Crates are useful tools for house training puppies. It is also a tool that provides a safe place for your dog to relax. It is regarded as a home within a home. However, it is crucial to find the right size for your dog so as to make it comfortable for him.
Frequently Asked Question
Question: Who should buy small dog crates?
Answer: Dog owners are divided into two when it comes to purchasing small dog crate. We have puppy owners and small dog owners. For small dog owners, it is important to buy crate that will size the dog comfortably.
Question: What is the best crate for small dogs?
Answer: The MidWest Folding Divider is the best crate for small dogs. It comforts your dog while you are away. It is also easy to assemble and store.
Question: How do I know what size crate to get my dog?
Answer: It is important to choose a crate that allow your dog to lie down, stand up, and turn around. It is therefore important to measure your dog before choosing a crate so as to get the correct size.
Question: How big a small crate should be?
Answer: Many small breed dogs vary in size, therefore it is better the select the crate based on dog’s size and not based on breed. However, small dog crate ranges between 22 to 25 inches.
Question: What is the best travel crate for small dogs?
Answer: The Amazon Basics Two Door Kennel is the best travel crate for small dogs. Its two door feature makes it easy to load pets. It also allows enough ventilation on top, sides, and back of crate.
Question: Should I cover my dog’s crate?
Answer: You can cover the top half with a blanket that is not heavy to make it look like a den. This will allow your dog to sleep comfortably in the night.
Question: Should you put a bed in a dog crate?
Answer: It is necessary to put a bed in the crate. This will make the crate look more admiring and comfortable for the dog to rest and sleep
Question: What is the best small soft dog crate?
Answer: The Elite Field Folding Outdoor is the best small soft dog crate. It is made of strong tube. It is also made of high quality fabric.
Question: Should I ignore puppy whining in crate?
Answer: Ignore the whining for some times so that he get used to the crate. However, pounding or shouting at him wouldn’t solve the problem.
Question: What to do if puppy cries in crate?
Answer: It is normal for puppies to cry in crate at first. Rather than ignoring him, simply put him on a leash or take him out. You can also stand outside for two minutes, try not to talk to him, simply play with him.
Question: Is it cruel to crate a dog at night?
Answer: It is fine to crate your dog at night if he is comfortable with it. But it is better to leave the door open so that your dog is not restricted to a spot. Dog should be given the freedom to move around and choose where to sleep.