The majority of pet dogs like to spend their time either in the backyard or outside the house. They like to roam hither and thither. However, what about the weather conditions? Like the individuals, a dog’s health is affected by unfavorable weather conditions.
To resolve this problem, your dog must have a good house. The dog house will protect them against weather changes. Moreover, it is quintessence to insulate the plastic dog house, especially in the cod areas. Even insulation is essential in the winters.
When it comes to insulation, then there are numerous methods of insulation. As a liable dog owner, you must know ways to insulate your pup’s house. In addition to it, you can try various tips and tricks for protecting the dog house.
If you are looking for tips and ways, then the below-mentioned information is fruitful for you. Here is the list of some information regarding the need, methods, and insulating the dog house.
Why Should You Need to Insulate Your Dog House?
The ambiance of your area may not be cold enough to insulate your dog’s house. However, your dog still needs extra care and protection from the winter. There are several reasons which indicate the need to insulate the dog house.
Before that, keep one thing in your mind that your dog house is neither too big nor too small. It means it should have sufficient space for turning around. Moreover, here is a list of some reasons behind the need to insulate a dog house.
- The insulated house shields your dog from the weather and temperature. With the insulation, the temperature of the dog house will remain steady and comfortable.
- The extreme cold and hot are dangerous for your pup. At the same time, the insulated dog house is fruitful in protecting your dog’s health.
- The insulation of the dog shields your pup from the rain and snow. These conditions affect the immune system of your dog. It leads to numerous diseases. So, if you are insulating your pup’s house, you are shielding it from various infections.
When you own a dog, then its health also matters for you. Even if you do not think about compromising it. The insulated house keeps your dog away from diseases.
Different Ways to Insulate a Plastic Dog House
When it comes to insulating the plastic dog house, you have a number of options. Some of the options are pretty straightforward, while some require plenty of effort. It is basically up to you which option you will choose.
Here is the list of some options you can implement if you make the mind to ensure your dog house.
You will have plenty of options regarding the reflective foils which are available in the market. These foils help reflect your dog’s body heat right back at it. It is an ideal option for the majority of dog owners.
This is because it is easy to install, highly effective, and budget-friendly. The foils can be helpful in conjunction with the other kinds of insulations too.
Bubble wrap is a bunch of tiny air pockets. It can be an excellent and great insulator. Like the reflective foils, it is also easy to install. For the installations, you do not need any specific tools.
When it comes to bubble wrap, then most people think about packing wraps. However, it is not that packaging wrap but the unique one. This particular wrap is coated with a thin aluminum layer.
These kinds of bubble wraps are designed mainly for insulating applications. What you need to do is, rather staple or glue it in the place. Make sure that you seal it up behind the plastic panel. Due to that, your dog will cause neither damage nor chewing it up.
The polystyrene foam is also named the brand Styrofoam. It is a common material that you can use while trying to insulate the dog house. Moreover, this foam is also helpful in numerous insulating products such as coffee cups.
Cut the series of foam panels that match the ceiling, floor, and inside wall of the house. You can use either glue or staple to keep the panel in place. After that, cover each panel with a similar-sized piece of plastic.
Expanding the Foam Spray
It is an excellent product for insulating the house of your dog. In addition to that, it is a cost-effective solution to keep the small dog house warm. The dog owners want to commence by cutting plastic panels. Further, attach these panels inside the dog’s home.
Make sure that you leave the space between the walls and panels, and holes. With the help of holes, you can spray the foam. You can fill the internal cavity with foam in case of hollow walls.
Carpets are also a great way of insulating the dog’s house. To some extent, it is fruitful in cutting the winter chill. These are not cheap, but it does not require much to cover the inside of your dog’s house. You can prefer any of the colors or patterns of the carpet.
In addition to it, you can use the outdoor carpet for durability. Moreover, the indoor carpet with the long-fibered will trap more air. It also provides more warmth to your dog.
How to Insulate the Floor, Ceiling, and Wall of a Plastic Dog House?
The below-mentioned information is about insulating your plastic dog’s house’s floor, ceiling, and walls.
- Insulate the Floor
- First and foremost, place the vapor barriers in between the floor and surface of the kennel. You can use the vapor barriers of the heavy plastic sheeting. It will restrict the cold air and dampness.
- You also have the option of creating the floor sandwich. It has the insulation engraved and after that covers each thing with the plywood. Buy the foam, including the vapor barriers, and then keep the insulation on the floor.
- Insulate the Ceilings
- The pet owners insulate the house ceiling to protect the dog from weather conditions. To insulate the ceiling space, you can use bubbles, plastic insulation, and so on. Cut the material and place it onto the ceiling. After that, wrap it with the paneling so that the dog does not eat it.
- You can also use rigid foam insulation to reinforce the kennel roof. This kind of insulation is available in the sheets. Cut it according to the size of the ceilings. Due to that, it offers structural support and thermal resistance too.
- Insulated the Walls
- You can give preference to the insulation sandwich technique on the walls. Keep the insulation in between the kennel wall and cover. You can install the wood covers and insulation on the exterior of the walls. It is fruitful in the case of a small dog house.
- You can use the woven synthetic material to wrap up the dog house. There are various commercial materials available such as types. These are ideal for the insulation of plastic dog houses.
This kind of material helps maintain the warm atmosphere in the dog’s house. In addition to that, it blocks the moisture too.
Helpful Tips to Insulate Your Dog House
The dog owners always love their pets and offer the best and comfortable facilities. You can apply some tips on dog house insulation. Here is the list of some information.
- Repair the damage: It is a daunting task to build a dog house. When you are done with it, then you will have to maintain it. So, it is essential to always check the holes or cracks in the kennel.
- Do not forget about the floors: The majority of pet owners do not observe the floor. Not only the door but also the floor is an excellent source of losing the heat. You can prefer the joists for making the platform for the dog house. In addition to that, it is cheap and effective.
- Check for the nails and screws: Make sure that no nails and crews are striking out from the dog house. This is because it can cause injury to your dog. When you build the dog house, cross-check the nails and screws.
Read More: How to Heat a Dog House without Electricity
In the end, it is essential to maintain the worthy condition of your dog house. As your home needs timely maintenance, likewise, your dog kennel needs the care. You can do a regular inspection of your dog. Due to it, if you find any hole, then you can repair it quickly.
In addition to it, you should use the appropriate ways to insulate the dog house. You can prefer the ideal material for it- work on insulating the dog house according to the kennel’s size. Moreover, protect your dog from extreme weather conditions by reading the information mentioned above.
Frequently Asked Question
Question: What temperature is ideal for a plastic dog house in the winter?
Answer: Forty-five degrees F is considered the lowest temperature of the dog house in the winter. On the other hand, 45 degrees F may also be regarded as too low for the smaller dogs. Not only for the smaller dogs but also for those dogs which do not have a thicker coat.
Question: How hot should you keep your dog house in the summer?
Answer: However, the temperature which is above seventy degrees is not appropriate and safe for your dog. The dog house, which is not insulated, has con. The con is, the temperature can reach much above 70 degrees F.