A cooling mat is a perfect solution to keep your dog safe from heatstroke, dehydration and overheating on hot days. Though summer is fun for us, it can be very uncomfortable for our four-legged friends to live in its usual lounged. Dogs wear a fur coat, and can’t cool themselves naturally when the temperature becomes high.
The best dog cooling mat helps your pet to feel comfortable during the summer days. Usually, a cooling mat filled with gel or cold water and works great in direct sunlight. They also come in various shapes and forms like dog cooling pads, and dog cooling beds. The first time a dog needs a few days to adapt with this bed and then it starts to enjoy the mat everywhere.
However, our team of experts spent more than 72 hours of research, consult with a couple of renowned pet specialists and few famous pet cooling mat manufacturers to review the top 10 choices for both of you and your pooch.
Best Dog Cooling Mat in 2023 – Reviews
1. Our Top Pick – Dog Self Cooling Mat
This is one of the most quality cooling mat made by nylon fabric and famous for providing extra cooling power. It is a solid gel cooling mat recharged automatically within 15-20 minutes without any electricity and run 3 hours continuously.
These cooling pads are very lightweight and safe to adjust perfectly in dog crates or kennels. They also work as a cooling dog bed to absorb heat from the dog’s body and keep them cool.
Arf Pets gel cooling mat is a long-term way to keep your pet cool, comfortable and healthy in the most humid or hottest environment by its gel interior. It provides more relaxation to dogs, those are suffering from arthritis or bone pain problem in older age.
It is tough to torn if your pet doesn’t chew or stab the mat by sharp nails. For a young puppy, definitely you should supervise him during use. As an automatic charging pad, it does not need any battery, electricity, water or refrigerator for proper maintenance and you can use it fearlessly in the home, in the yard, inside the car, in the hotel and carry while travelling.
After all, it is an ideal cooling mat for dogs can be used in both indoor and outdoor without any hassle. Moreover, the nylon construction of this mat is suitable for the dog’s health and pet owners also love it so much because it is easy to wash, clean and store for further use.
- There is no electricity, refrigeration or water required
- Cooling effects last up to three hours
- Recharged within 20 minutes
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
- Flexible to fold
2. Best Pet Cooling Gel Pad – Hugs Pet Products
The second pick comes from Hugs Pet Products available in three different sizes (medium, large and extra-large) and offers you the opportunity to find the best suit for your dog. It is made from soft but durable puncture-resistant comfy mats and ideal for hot dogs, older animals and those are recovering from surgery.
Hugs Comfort Cooling Gel Pet Pad keeps your pet cool by providing lower temperature without water, refrigeration or electricity. It is lightweight, portable and works great in the pet bed or cannel for both indoor and outdoor using.
Some dog owners, especially prefer this non-toxic gel mat for aggressive chewers. It is also suggested for dogs that are dealing with joint pain and need extra comfort for hours and hours to get relief. The gel technology absorbs the heat from your dog’s body and provides relaxation with coolness.
It is easy to wash and clean for storage and perfect for both indoor and outdoor use. The proper measurement is 90cm x 50cm and completely adjusts in dog crates or kennels. There does not require any electricity, freeze or chill to remain the surface cool. The non-toxic gel is safe for puppies, kids, adults, and animals.
- Gel technology keeps pet cool and comfy
- Made with soft but sturdy and puncture resistant material
- No electricity, refrigeration, and water required
- Lightweight and portable
- Licensed and registered in the USA
- Need to keep your pet’s nails trimmed
3. Best Dog Outdoor Cooling Mat – The Green Pet Shop
The Green Pet Shop offers another popular self-cooling pet pad brand with a new technology that doesn’t require any electricity, refrigeration, water, chill or freeze to remain cool the mat surface. The gel technology keeps cool your pet on contact more than 4 hours of constant use.
It automatically recharges within 15-20minutes and reactivated by the pressure of your dog. That’s why your dog can enjoy the day-long cooling sensation with no effort from you. It saves the dog from the summer heat by automatically starts its cooling effect when the pet lies down.
This outdoor dog cooling pad is light-weight and portable to carry when travelling. It is easy to wash and clean with detergent and folds effortlessly to store for further using. You can place this pet cooling mat on the floor, bed, in the car seat, or outside surface, but the facility is at any location or place your pet will stay cool.
The used formulated non-toxic gel is safe for pets, kids, people, and animals. Especially, dogs and other pets like this cooling mat when the weather is warm and hot or the dog is over-aged or physically unfit. Dog proprietors also prefer this mat because it keeps the dog cool in hot summer and you can carry it for a long car trip or a family trip to the beach.
- Multifunctional, portable and easy to care
- No electricity, water or refrigeration needed to keep it cool
- Easy to clean for the used vinyl cover
- Facilitate to use three hours continuously
- Not suitable for chewers
4. Best Cooling Mat for Small Dogs – K&H Pet Products
Our fourth pick is different in design and other features. It is a water-filled cooling mat that you need to freeze for more cooling effect. Just add water to the bed and let your dog get the experience of the cooling effect.
It quickly heats out your pet and releases into the air. The cooling mat absorbs the heat emitted by your pet and reduces the room temperature. It makes the balance between room temperature and the dog’s body temperature. This cooling bed is extremely durable and not easy to destroy by normal chewing.
The size of this blue colored cooling mat is small about 17 inches to 24 inches, comfortable for skin disorders, hip pain relief and recovering surgery issues. There is no weight limit for the mat, perfect for small dogs and sometimes cats which like cool spots and feels comfortable to lie on this mat.
The K&H Pet Cool Bed is made of strong nylon or vinyl exterior suggested for both indoor and outdoor use. Before using this mat just add some cold water to enhance the cooling capabilities. You can wash it easily if it is needed to remove odor or stain and store it by eliminating used water.
It helps to prevent bacterial growth from your dog’s body by adding grapefruit seed extract (GSE) to the water. Direct sunlight is not suitable for cooling dog mat and it works perfectly on concrete floors, cool tile, or on linoleum.
- Provides a cool and refreshing surface for your dog’s relaxation
- No electricity or refrigeration required
- Has nylon or vinyl exterior makes it durable
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use
- Not easy to chew
- 2-year warranty period
- Need water for the cooling process
5. Best Cool Pad for Dogs – Coleman
This affordable cooling mat is the fifth choice of the list, and most suitable for small dogs with a much cheaper rate. It remains your dog cool 5-10 degrees comparatively room temperature. There is no battery, electricity, water or refrigeration needed to keep the mat cool and it is easy to maintain the non-toxic gel which is ideal for pets.
It is perfect for using alone in the pet carrier or pet bed to keep your dog cool and happy. The dog owners and dogs, both love this mat to use and appreciate for easy cleaning facilities. It is also durable and enough sturdy to save from unruly dog nails and chewing.
After a long walk or being outside, dogs want to cool down quickly and this cooling pet helps to reduce overheating from the dog’s body rapidly and helps to feel comfortable. Dog owners declare this Comfort Cooling Gel Pet Pad Mat is excellent for use in the home, yard, car, hotel or any outdoor purpose to remain the surrounding cooler.
- There is no freeze or refrigeration needed
- Non-toxic gel is ideal for pets
- Possible to use in pet bed or pet carrier
- The bed is durable and enough sturdy
- Dogs feel comfortable
6. Best Indoor Dog Cooling Mat – Riogoo
It is the best cooling mat for indoor using, made with aluminum alloy dedicated to instantly cool your dog’s body by absorbing heat. This pool pad has no chemical pollution and it remains cool long time without additional support. It is easy to clean for the damp cloth and the foldable design facilitate to store easily.
The Riogoo cooling pad is available in small and medium size and the manufacturer company ensures 1- year guarantee for any problem. There are two sizes available to choose where the small size measures 15.7×11.2×0.4 inches and 20.2×15.7×0.4 inches for medium to large dogs. To make the cooling pad clean, it should not use deodorants, detergents or dog medicine.
- Aluminum alloy construction with plastic side protection
- Foldable design facilitates to carry and store easily
- Dogs feel comfort due to plastic protection
- Easy to wash and clean
- No battery needed
7. Best Pressure Activated Cooling Mat – The Green Pet Shop
The Green Pet Shop offers the revolutionary pressure activated gel technology which prevents dehydration and overheating of the dog’s body and keeps them cool in the summer. It is ideal for Australian Shepard, Bulldog, Cocker Spaniel, and other similar sized medium to large breed dogs. This cooling mat features a special gel which automatically recharges after half an hour of non-use.
The pad requires no water, electricity or refrigeration, but works for up to 3 hours without any effort from you. Just lay the cool mat where your dog loves to relax and let it go to work. This cooling pad offers quick relief from the summer heat and keeps your dog cool even your home has no air conditioning. It shouldn’t leave the pad in direct sunlight because it may affect the normal performance of this bed.
- Super comfort design works great in summer
- Your dog enjoys the cool in hot days
- Designed by non-toxic material
- Waterproof material makes it easy to clean
- 100% money back guaranty
8. Best Cooling Memory Foam Dog Bed – Dogbed4less
The Dogbed4less orthopedic cooling mat provides the extreme support and relief the pain of arthritis. It is better than usual human grade mattress due to conforming therapeutic comfort. This bed is made with premium quality fabric and best rated memory foam to ensure highest comfort and orthopedic support.
The quality construction and smart features provide many facilities to your dog like alignment support, pressure point relief, cooler sleeping surface and an ideal environment for sound sleep. It is comfortable to and designed with heavy weight 200 GSM Microfiber Faux Suede with strong zipper to prolong the life of the pet bed.
This bed is covered with two layers of fabric covers where the internal layer is waterproof fabric zipper cover helps to secure the pad. The external cover is completely machine washable and dry-able popular to use for easy cleaning.
- Constructed with the highest quality premium material
- Provide orthopedic support
- Ensure maximum comfort
- Waterproof non-slip material convenient to easy wash
- Waterproof internal zipper cover to protect the memory foam
9. Best Large Dog Cooling Mat – Aolvo
The Aolovo cooling pad is perfect to keep safe your dog from overheat during summer. It has the super comfort design with high-quality material. A breathable thick inner sponge layer allows for easy cleaning. It is eco-friendly, non-toxic and 100% safe for animals and humans. There is no need to use water or battery to keep the mat freeze or chill. The foldable design facilitates easy storage.
By using this cooling mat your dogs will feel cool and relax on hot days. You can place this mat safely on hard floors, concreate surfaces, cars, sofa, cars, and carpets to provide additional comfort for your dogs to enjoy. There are four available sizes assure your dogs total relief from head to toe. This cooling mat is designed for easy storage and travel by folding easily. It is also easy to clean the mat by using a cloth to wipe it down when necessary.
- Durable construction with high-quality material
- Doesn’t require pre-chilling
- Anti-skid bottom for more stability
- Comfortable to use
- Simple to wash and easy to storage
10. Best Summer Cooling Mat – Cool Dog Reusable Ice Mat Review
If you observe that your dog is trying to take rest on the surface of some ceramic tiles in the air conditioning room, then you should realize this is the time to purchase an ice cool pet mat for your pet. This icy cool reusable dog mat is best for summer helps to reduce your dog’s body temperature and keep them safe and happy.
It is simple to freeze and use, no need to add cold water before using. The 24″ x 12″ linkable flexible design properly fits for small and medium dogs. There is no dyes or gel used in this mat which makes it safe for both you and your dog. For being non-toxic materials, this mat also ensures overall safety for your kids and pets. In this case, just simply freeze it and then place it on the floor for using a couple of hours.
- Made with durable canvas, non-slip bottom, and cold mat
- Modular design links together to form larger areas
- The lower rubber prevents the mat from sliding
- Perfectly fit for small and medium dogs
- Keep your dog cool and happy
What is a Cooling Dog Bed?
A cooling dog bed is totally different from normal beds through its design and functionality. It helps to keep your dog cool in the summertime and warm in the winter.
Cooling beds are great to use in both indoors and outdoors for their lightweight and surprising portability during moving.
These beds come with a unique design to keep your dog elevated off the ground and facilitate to flow air under it. These are durable, long-lasting and available in a variety of sizes, shapes and styles offer to choose the best suits based on your dog’s need and sleeping style.
So, you can purchase an elevated cooling dog bed to keep your dog comfortable for hours.
Why Does a Cooling Mat Need to Use?
There are so many reasons for using cooling pads and a few of them are given below:
- The cooling pad is indispensable to keep your dog cool down even in the heat of summer. It saves puppies from dehydrating in very hot weather.
- A well designed cooling pad made for long-term use. It keeps your dog cool for hours on end even if there is no A/C system on.
- Dogs love to play even in hot summer and become very tired in a short time. A cooling pad assists to replenish its energy and the dog feels relaxed on it.
- It is essential to keep your dog cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Some cooling beds can adapt to the temperature changes to provide the most comfort.
- Cooling beds are especially helpful for elderly dogs to keep them refreshed. It is also a safe place for injured dogs and not the cause of any health issues.
Types of Dog Cooling Mats
There are different types of cooling mat have special mechanisms to keep the dog cool for the longer time. It is a bit challenging to choose the right option and you should know detail about all positive or negative features before the final selection. Sometimes it also depends on your budget and dog’s requirements.
Elevated dog beds are great for outdoor using because of adequate air circulation facilities when dogs lay on the bed. It is too much cost-effective and very easy to keep your pet cool due to simple using. It comes with an orthopaedic design which allows distributing cool air from all sides of the bed and the designated cooling layer provides additional relief to the dog. Elevated beds are extremely durable to sustain a long time, despite your dog’s bad chewing habit.
Cooling Gel Beds
Gel mats are very popular with pet parents due to its flexibility, low maintenance, and easy carrying facilities. These are filled with a highly conductive gel that especially helps to keep the dog cool for hours. Actually, gel cooling mats made with a gel substance which activates by your dog’s pressure and weight.
In this case, the body temperature of your dog transferred into room temperature through the designated cooling mechanism. It is easier to recharge than electrical components and allows your dog at the lower temperature by laying on them.
A water-filled cooling mat looks like a small water bed that your dog would sleep on and it is one of the most effective options to keep the dog cool off as long as possible. Water is a useful cooling agent, especially help to cool down during hot and summer days.
That’s why it is the most popular cooling bed to pet proprietors for easy maintenance. In this case, just fill the bed with cool water and let your dog lays on it for transferring the coldness whole over the body. These are the best option for large dogs, but not appropriate for aggressive chewers which tend to chew everything.
Memory foam cooling beds are great for senior dogs, these help to mold your dog’s body shape and reduce the pressure on their joints and bones. These beds are comfortable to use and can be the right choice for your canine companion. It is needed to charge directly or with USB plug-in and facilitate to cool easily. They are not long-lasting like waterbed or gel mats, but contain soft and supportive foam to keep your dog warm on chilly nights.
Some Other Ways to Cool Your Dog During Summer
According to dog specialist, there are some effective ways you can follow to relief heat from the dog’s body during summer.
- Provide your pet with plenty of water
- Keep your dog away from direct sunlight
- Manage a way to keep them cool
- Reduce the duration of exercising
In summer, obviously, overheat causes of your dog’s illness, and as a pet owner, you should always prepare with necessary measures to take proper action. An ideal cooling mat instantly provides your dog a break from hot temperature with a comfortable environment.
Before picking any cooling mat, you should confirm the work activity, efficiency and special features of this mat. Cooling fans, cold water, and dog pools are also efficient to control your dog’s body temperature.
Features of a Dog Cooling Bed
There are various styles, design, quality, and functionality available in the market but choosing a suitable cooling mat is not very easy. Some common features are described here to provide you a general assumption about cooling mat for dogs.
- Cooling Mat with Gel: It is the most popular and renowned for both dogs and owners. A pre-filled and automatic cooling gel keeps the mat cool 5-10 degree than normal temperature. This gel technology provides an extra cooling facility for a certain period of time.
- Cooling Mat Filled with Water: Many pet owners practice this effective option rather than a self-recharging cooling mat because they do not feel trust in technology. The mechanism is so easy, just filling the cooling mat with water and keeping it in the refrigerator.
- Cooling Mat Filled with Simple Gel: It is the cheapest cooling mat enough good for pet owners on a budget. Suitable to place where the temperature is not in extreme. Simple gel-filled cooling mat also featured with automatic cooling mat technology to provide extra cooling facilities. Easily maintains the lower temperature at the outside and better options for small dogs.
Things to Consider Before Choosing Dog Cooling Mats
From below you will know a few important features that help to make you a complete sense while buying the best suit cooling mat for your dog.
Efficient cooling is the precondition of the best dog cooling bed. It provides a non-stop cooling effect on your dog’s body to keep him safe from overheating.
There are different products may have the same feature, but can vary in their thermal efficiency. Some beds are able to cool your dog for 1-2 hours, where others can do it for 5-6 hours due to its optimum air ventilation facilities.
You should also check the radiation capability of the mat because some cooling beds return in normal temperature within 10-15 minutes while others may require a long time.
Always try to pick a cooling bed that made with high quality and durable materials. It becomes long-lasting and helps keep your dog cool during a long time of period. There are also some materials won’t work well with your dogs like plastic or rubber material. Rubber beds are easily becoming dirty and painful to clean regularly.
It may cause joint pain due to improper sleeping position for your dog. Plastic beds become warm within a short time and your dog feels uncomforting within a very short time. These are not much durable and long-lasting to using.
Definitely, you should choose a cooling mat that will last year after year. A durable mat can tolerate any rough treatment like biting, chewing and scratching of your pet. Some cooling pads are designed with long-lasting nylon and vinyl exterior to enhance durability. It should also be more lightweight and flexible to carry while travelling and storing. Many beds are come with aluminium or bronze materials to ensure extra longevity for larger dogs.
Ease of Cleaning
Along with other features, a cooling mat should be featured with easy cleaning facility. Usually, mats collect dirt from the dog’s body and need to clean well. So, it would be a great advantage if the bed made with waterproof material. Be careful of using any chemical or cleaning solution which may harmful to the bed. Our listed products are easy to clean by a towel and washing detergent. If you have any confusion for bacterial growth while storing a pad, use a few drops of grapefruit seed extract into the water while cleaning.
It is another vital feature and you should try to find the right size according to the dog’s size for the best suit to use in both indoor and outdoor. For outdoor using, you must be kept out the bed from the direct sunlight. If you have any doubt to sort out the accurate size you can measure out the area when your dog lay on with their legs stretched.
The purpose of using a cooling mat is ensuring better comfort for rest and sleep by eliminating an unbearable heat. In summer or hotter days, cooling beds provide optimum softness and comfort that your dog loves to get in accordance with its needs. You can also use this bed as the alternative to hard floors. It is also helpful for elder dogs to provide extra facilities while taking rest.
The Usefulness of the Dog Cooling Mat
There are numerous benefits to keeping your dog cool in the summertime and some of them are noted below.
- It provides your dog optimum comfort: Most of the cooling mats are designed with soft but sturdy and durable chew-proof materials. Your dog may easily be affected by coldness, sore joints or ear problems and pet proprietors know how much uncomfortable and painful experience it can be. A cooling bed can protect the dog from this unexpected illness and keep in a lot more comfortable and healthier situation.
- It protects the dog during the summer: Mainly cooling mats help to keep your dog cool during summertime and warm days. There are various types of mat available in the market; those are special for their unique feature and functionalities. In that case, you should analyze your dog’s age and other common behaviors before finalizing any cooling bed to get the best output.
- It helps to keep your dog clean: Usually, dogs lay down on the floor at any time and becomes dirtier as well. A dog bed can save your dog by providing a protective layer on which the dog used to lie down. It helps to relax your dog without getting dirty or feeling discomfort on the floor.
- The Freedom: Though your dog spends a very short period of time on the mat in a day, but it becomes a very personal territory for them within a short time. There are lots of advantages and positive effects come with freedom. After using a certain period your dog can able to make decisions independently when he should take place into the mat to get rid of overheating and being well with it.
Drawbacks That Come With the Cooling Mat
Besides the aforementioned benefit here is also mentioned a couple of disadvantages to growing your sincerity while using the cooling mat.
- It covers a certain space in the room: Though the bed won’t take the space of the entire room, but it takes up the required amount of the used area inside the house. Basically, the required area depends on the bed’s size and the bed’s size depends on the size of the dog. So, you can consume the space according to the dog’s size, but still, some people face it is an inconvenience.
- It should not move the mat from one place to another: Usually, dogs are habituated to find out the cooling mat at the same place in the room. Otherwise, they become bit confused and diminishes the bonding with the mat day by day. If the dog continues with this process, then after a certain period, it will not care about the mat anymore. So, don’t try to change the position of the mat if it is not extremely demanding.
- It is mandatory to clean the mat regularly: During the summertime, most of the dogs like to spend time with their cooling bed and shed their fur all the time. The mat becomes full of fur and hair and needs to be washed immediately depending on the dog breeds. So, it is not so easy to clean a mat shortly and you need to budget additional time for proper care.
Some Important Tips
Even though you have been well-informed about the dog cooling pad, here we have included a few more tips to ensure you the complete use of it
- You can keep the cooling mat in the freezer for a little while to make it cool more.
- Be sincere to keep the bed clean on a regular basis to ensure your dog’s good health.
- Always try to keep the dog’s fur small through regular shaving and get maximum cooling benefit from it.
- Put the mat away from sunlight to keep cool long time and of course, choose a dry place for the last longer.
- To buy the best suit, consider your dog breed and follow your vet’s recommendation.
Every pet owner desires to keep their dog in a comfortable situation even in the hot summer. There are plenty of cooling mats available in the market and by choosing the right one you can save your dog from the hot and humid conditions. Be educated to select the best suited for your dog, or take help from the veterinarian to get the absolute outcome by using a dog cooling bed.
Frequently Asked Question
Why does it need a cooling mat for your dog?
Veterinarians agree that in the summer when an animal’s body temperature increases rapidly and it is not possible to regulate properly in time then heatstroke may occur. Dogs cannot sweat like people, that’s why overheating reduce their efficiency and make them less effective. So, it is badly needed to cool them down with the help of suitable cooling mat.
How does a dog cooling bed work?
Actually, most of these beds highly work to remove overheat from the dog’s body and they feel cool to contact with the material. There are different types of the mat like water, gel mat or memory foam come with different functionality but almost all cooling mats start working within 15-20 minutes.
Do you put dog cooling mats in the fridge?
If the cooling mat left in the sunlight for a long time, it will absorb the heat more. Though direct sunlight won’t destroy the durable nylon but it will take a huge time to cool the mat in the normal temperature. So, for a jump start of cooling, you can put the mat in the fridge and reduce the temperature very quickly.
Is it suitable to use a cooling pad at outside?
Obviously, you should carry the cooling mat for outdoor using. At summer time dogs feel extremely hot when you move to the park, sea-beach or open places and a dog cooling bed enormously help your dog to take support from it.
How long a Dog cooling mat lasts?
Cooling mats those are pressure activated or rechargeable last up to 3-4 hours of constant using. After finishing charge the mat can recharge itself automatically and supports your dog for years without any problem.
How to clean dog cooling mat?
It is not much tough to clean a dog cooling mat. You can use just soft cloth, mild soap, or wipe clean with water to clean the mat after using. Then let it completely dry before further using or storing. If you have the plan to store the mat for an extended period of time, sealing the product in a plastic bag then store in a cool and dry location.
Do you need to recharge a cooling pad?
No, it is never needed to recharge a dog cooling pad ever; you just need to give it some time before using so that it can charge automatically.
Are dog cooling mats toxic?
The inner material of the cooling mat is 100% non-toxic gel that is completely safe for both pets and humans. Cooling mats effectively help to cool down your pet in the heatwave by absorbing heat from the dog’s body and reduce overheating or dehydration.
Are cooling mats safe for dogs?
Obviously, cooling mats are safe for both pets, and humans. There are no toxic or harmful materials are used to develop a quality cool pad. Moreover, these are lightweight, portable, easy to fit in beds, cars and storage also. So, cooling mats are very safe, secure and comfortable for dogs specially at summer time.