The pet owners are quite familiar with the concept of dog shedding. Shedding happens when the dog either loses his dead or damaged fur. After that, new and healthy fur grows. Moreover, the amount of losing hair varies from healthy and breed of the dog.
Although it is a natural process, it is quite irritating for dog owners. It is because they have to clean the dog furs from the floor frequently. Cleaning and dog shedding is a never-ending process for dog owners. So, if you own the dog, then be ready for this sophisticated responsibility. However, have you ever tried to find out the reason for this problem?
When you search about the concept, then you will find numerous interesting facts. There are numerous reasons associated with dog shedding. It is a liability of a pet parent to know about the dog losing hair. The below-mentioned information covers all the crucial points which clear the concept of dog shedding.
Common Reasons for Dog Shedding
Shedding is generally a natural process. The dogs that have a thick coat in the winter season lose their hair in the spring. The amount of fur loss depends upon the various factors:
- Health condition of the dog
- Breed of dog
- Season and environment
Besides, various other reasons lead to dog shedding. Stress and health issues can occur because of it. Here is the list of other significant reasons for dog shedding.
- Bacterial and Fungal Infections
- Parasites (fleas, lice or mites)
- Specific Medication
- Allergies related to the food
- Kidney, thyroid, liver, or adrenal disease
- Immune disease
- Touch any irritation substance
- Poor Nutrition
- Hormones fluctuations
- Stress-Related hair loss
- Shedding Season
The majority of dogs start losing their hair twice in a year naturally. Here is the chart which reveals the season and hair losing amount.
|1||Summer||Least hair loss|
|2||Winter||Average hair loss because of the thicker coat|
|3||Spring||Abundant shedding because dog changes the coat from winter to summer|
|4||Fall||Plenty of fur loss because the dog changes the coat from summer to winter|
Also, these are some common reasons behind dogs losing their fur.
Special Ways to Control Your Dog’s Shedding
There are no pet owners who like their dog’s fur spread here and there on the floor. Fortunately, there are many ways to control the shedding of a dog. Here is the list of ways that you can keep in your mind.
Grooming: Dog grooming is an essential part of the dog’s care. If you want to decrease the amount of dog’s hair loss, do dog grooming frequently. Regular brushing will remove damaged or unhealthy hair. In addition, with frequent brushing, the natural oils will be dispersed. As a result, the coat will be shiny and healthy.
Delivering Quality Food: The best quality of the food, which is a blend of worthy nutrients, can stop the dog shedding. Moreover, the supreme quality of food has the quality of ingredients. These ingredients maintain the coat of the dog healthy.
Bathing: Do not forget about bathing. It is because bathing is also worthy for stopping the dog shedding excessively. This step cleans its coat and removes the damaged hair. You can prefer de-shedding shampoo and conditioners. Besides, these kinds of products have moisturizers and omega fatty acids. So, dog grooming and frequently, dog bathing is essential. You cannot compromise with these conditions.
Visit the Vet: Sometimes the medical conditions can also become the reason for the excess amount of shedding. Stress, sunburns or many more problems can be the cause of it. So, you can take your pup to the vet. He will examine the dog and give the prescription. You can follow it.
Food Supplements to Reduce Dog Shedding
When it comes to food supplements, then there are various products related to it. You will get plenty of options related to food supplements. These supplements ensure about enhancing the coat quality. In addition, here is a list of dog-food supplements.
- Omega 6 Fatty Acids: The omega-six fatty acids are generally present in the diet of the dog. These are important for the excellent quality of the coat. The discrepancy of omega-six fatty acids affects the coat of the dog.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids: The omega 3 fatty acids are also the best and common supplements. These supplements enhance the coat quality of your dog. Also, fish oil is a source of these kinds of fatty acids. Moreover, omega 3 fatty acids are also good for joints, immune, and heart health.
These supplements take time to show their results. So, do not think that you will observe the results immediately. It may take the time from 3 to 4 months. However, you can discuss the food supplements of dogs with the vet. He will guide you effectively and accurately.
Does Grooming Better to Minimize Dog Shedding?
Dog grooming is the only essential key for minimizing dog shedding. You can use the slicker brush for brushing your dog’s hair. In addition to it, you will have to do grooming once a week. The grooming practices also vary from the dog breed. Here is the list of information related to it.
- Dogs that have longer and thicker coats require brushing regularly. You can use the bristle brush. So, when they start to lose their hair, do the daily brushing.
- Some dogs which have curly coats require bathing and clipping every two months. You can pull out the ear hair.
- Use the pin brush for longer and silky coats once you are done with the weekly bath. The dogs with this kind of hair require trimming each couple of months.
- The dogs with wiry coats require combing and brushing minimum thrice in a week.
- The dogs like Whippet, Boxer, and Labrador have smooth coats. It is easy to groom. Moreover, the small hair short-coated breeds require combing and brushing weekly.
So, groom your dog timely and accurately. It will reduce the excess of dog shedding. Besides, you can use a different dog brush for brushing. It removes the dead or damaged hair. Henceforth, do not compromise with the brushing schedule of your dog.
When Should I Call My Vet?
The prescription and guidance of a vet are quintessence. There are various problems which indicate that you must contact the vet doctor. When you observe some below-mentioned conditions, call the vet.
- Skin irritation which consists of redness, rashes, bumps, or scabs
- Any open sores
- Bald Spots
- Thinning of coat
- Dull or dry hairs which can be pulled out smoothly or easily
- Foot licking or face rubbing constantly
These are some medical conditions on which you will have to consult the vet. Moreover, if you notice any skin allergy for a longer period, then see the vet. Henceforth, do not ignore these problems and excessive dog shedding.
Ways to Clean Dog’s Fur From my Room
You can use some basic methods to clean the fur of your dog from the room. Here is the list of a few tips for cleaning the dog hair.
- The pet parent can use the rubber glove to remove the hair from the fabric. Run your hand on the surface to attract pet’s hair. When the gloves are full of fur, then rinse it.
- Prefer the soft cloth for removing the hair from the furniture of your room. You can also prefer the anti-static dusting spray. The major benefit of using this spray is that it reduces the electric discharge. Due to it, the process of removing hair will be easier.
- You can use the vacuum to remove the hair from the bare floors or the carpets. When you vacuum, do it twice in a different direction. This will loosen the stubborn hairs.
- With the help of the dryer, you can remove the pet hair from the clothes.
As a pet owner, you can implement these ways to clean the fur from your room. You can use a vacuum, gloves, and so on.
At some specific point, pet hair leads to frustration. However, with the guidelines mentioned above, you can end this frustration. Once you know the reason for dog shedding, then you can go for a solution. For instance, if your dog needs grooming then make the schedule of dog grooming.
Proper care will reduce your problem. If your dogs lose excessive hairs rather than normal, then consult the vet. The vet will find the root cause of this problem. After that, he will write the prescription. Thus, professional help is also required. Take all the precautions and work on the proper diet of your dog.