Good dental chews always help to remove tartar and prevent plaque build-up in your dog’s teeth for regular use. They also refresh your dog’s breath and make pearly white teeth with healthy gums.
Always a puppy is trying to prove how much it missed you, but only for the bad breath stink, you can’t enjoy this feeling with satisfaction. After a long day of working when you come back home, your loving puppy jumps on you and continuously kisses to express its love. How sweet the scenario is! But the fact is your puppy’s bad breath.
To get rid of this situation one of the most helpful objects is canine dental chews. These are available in different types, shapes, flavors, and works as the alternative of a toothbrush.
There is a variety of dental treats and it is quite challenging to sort out the right one which is absolute for your pup. But here we have prepared a listing of the 10 best dental chews for dogs with a comprehensive buying guide to help you in your own way.
|Editor's Picks||Product's Name||Brand||Latest Price|
|Top Pick||Greenies Dog Dental Chews Review||Greenies||Check Price|
|Best Natural Dental||Blue Buffalo Dental Bones Review||Blue||Check Price|
|Best for Large Dogs||Pedigree Dental Sticks Review||Pedigree||Check Price|
|Best for Puppy||Virbac Oral Hygiene Review||Virbac||Check Price|
|Best Grain Free||Zukes Z-Bones Review||Zuke's||Check Price|
|Best for Toothbrush Treats||Whimzees Paragon Chew Review||Paragon||Check Price|
|Best for Small Dogs||Virbac Dental Review||Virbac||Check Price|
|Best Healthy||Best Bully Sticks Review||Best Bully Sticks||Check Price|
|Overall||Milk Bone Brushing Chews Review||Milk-Bone||Check Price|
|Best Cow Hooves||Pawstruck Natural Review||Pawstruck||Check Price|
Best Dental Chew for Dogs in 2021 – Reviews
1. Our Top Pick – Greenies Dog Dental Chews
GREENIES Original TEENIE is the Best Seller dental chew provides a special blend of macro and micronutrients to develop your dog’s proper dental health. It is flavored in delicious poultry goodness that pet dogs like more to chew on.
It is like Halloween candy come with a wonderful chewy texture acts like a brush on your pooch’s teeth and effectively remove all food particles. It also fights against plaque and tartar and ensures your dog’s complete oral cleanliness.
The formulation is made with highly soluble natural ingredients that are safe and easy to digest. Used vitamins and minerals added greater nutritional value and low amount of fat that helps to reduce overweight. The flexible design allows for better contact with the gum line and surface of the teeth.
Like other dog chews, it is also excellent in giving your pet freshen breath. So, if the dog loves to give you lots of kisses you will receive him with full satisfaction.
According to most pet proprietors, dogs love the fantastic taste of this Greenies dental chew and it is easy to feed them regularly. So, get this GREENIES Dental Treat and spend a scary-good time with your pet.
- Fight against plaque and tartar build-up
- Provide freshen breath
- Low-fated and fantastic test
- Formulated with vitamins A, B, D, E, calcium, phosphorus and niacin
- Made in the USA
- Not suitable for dogs under 5 pounds
2. Runner Up – Milk Bone Chews Dental Treats Dogs
Milk-Bone dental chews are structured in a very unique shape like the classic doggie bone act like outstretched bristles of a human toothbrush. It is truly exceptional when comes to remove food particles and other debris from your dog’s teeth.
This brushing chew is amazingly delicious, so it is easy to feed without any issue. The main ingredients are vitamins, minerals, and calcium very useful for clean and strong teeth.
- Acts like a toothbrush
- The best solution for daily oral care
- Offers 31 kilocalories per chew bone
- Fortified with 12 essential vitamins and minerals
- Used calcium works for strong bones and teeth
3. Best Dental Chews for Small Dogs – Virbac Enzymatic
Vibrac Enzymatic Hygiene chews are special for small dogs contain the highest protein levels at more than 70%. Protein is a VITAL micronutrient that is needed for the optimum development of good health and strong teeth.
It fights against oral cavity and saves your pooch from the dental infection. There is no vitamins and minerals, but high protein and probiotic ingredients make this one of the healthiest dogs treat for your little pooch.
- Removes plaque-forming bacteria
- Enrich with high protein
- Very least amount of fat (1%)
- Made using real beef hide
- Efficient for oral cavity
4. Best Dental Chews for Large Dogs – Pedigree Dentastix
The PEDIGREE Dental Treat is the best for large dogs constructed in a protected “X” shape also allows your pup for the best possible grip. It is clinically proven that regular use of this dental chew can reduce 80% of plaque and tartar build up to promote oral health. The real combination of active ingredients makes this treat very delicious that your pooch loves to eat more.
Pedigree sticks are especially for adult dog breeds and not suitable for dogs under 30 pounds. Like other dental treats, it is not too hard to chew, but ensure maximum benefits by feeding every day. These are developed with the help of vets and nutritionists to meet your dog’s nutritional demand.
There are 32 treats available in each packet and these are low in fat and free from additional sugar, artificial colors, flavors and preservatives. The different sizes, single and multipack formats allow small to large dog breeds to provide total oral care.
Pedigree has formulated a range of tasty dog chews with multiple flavors that your puppy loves so much. According to the pet proprietors, from various treats dogs love the genuine chicken flavor. So, if you have been regularly offering your pooch some delicious treats then try to follow the dog owner’s recommendation to get the pearly white smile from your pooch.
- Offer various flavors include beef, bacon, and chicken
- Scare away plaque and tartar
- Make fresh breath
- Promote healthy gum and cleaner teeth
- Available in mini or large size
- Made in the USA
- Suitable for adult dogs thosr are more than 30 pounds
- Not gluten-free
5. Best Healthy Dental Chews for Dogs – Best Bully Sticks
Bully sticks are formulated with 100% pure natural grass-fed beef, which is fully enriched with protein and other necessary vitamins to ensure a healthy diet. These chews are highly digestible and very safe for your pup.
Regular feeding tremendously helps to eliminate plaque and tartar buildup from your dog’s teeth. There are no additives, hormones and harmful chemicals are used to make these treats.
- Rich in all natural ingredients
- Ensure high protein level
- Make teeth strong and long lasting
- 100% digestible and healthy
- Easily remove tartar and plaque
6. Best Natural Dental Chews for Dogs – Blue Buffalo
Blue Buffalo dog dental chews provide total natural oral health care to your puppy. It helps to keep your dog’s teeth clean, make a freshen breath and maintain healthier gums.
Blue bones made with all tasty and highly digestible natural ingredients may provide extra health benefits to your dog. The available Taurine of this treat is good for the healthy heart, vitamins for the immune system and DHA for cognitive development. The Glucosamine and Chondroitin help to improve joint health.
Here, some other important ingredients are rice, rice bran, vegetable glycerin, pea protein, gelatin, natural flavor, sunflower oil, flaxseed, carrots, calcium carbonate, blueberries, parsley and more.
There is no chicken, poultry, soy, wheat or corn, no artificial color, flavor or preservatives. This natural chew preserved with citric acid, zinc propionate and oil of rosemary.
- Specially formulated to maintain healthier gum and clean teeth
- Make your dog’s breath fresh
- Good for heart and immune system
- Available in mini, small, regular and large sizes
- Made in the USA
- These chews do not last very long
- Not recommended to prevent plaque or tartar
7. Best Dental Hygiene Chews for Dog – Oravet Treats
Oravet Treats is the most famous veterinary dental hygiene chews for small dogs. Its Oravet product line is highly recommended by veterinary professionals for your puppy’s dental care. The special dual-enzyme system provides natural germ-free facilities to clean your dog’s teeth properly. It also helps to remove plaque-forming bacteria and generate freshen breath.
These dental treats are made with beef hide to combine a natural antiseptic plus to accelerate chewing action. It ensures total oral care for all pets regardless of age, size, and breeds. So, offer your dog at least 1 chew every day to control plaque and calculus.
Sometimes periodontal disease may affect your dog’s overall health. Always try to keep your pet’s mouth clean and healthy. Regular use of dental chews completely cleans your dog’s teeth even when brushing is not possible. It is also a highly palatable poultry-flavored chew; that your dogs like very much to get in every meal.
- Ensure clean teeth and fresh breath
- Remove tartar and control tartar
- Healthy and palatable
- Bring exceptional control over your dog’s behavior
- Appropriate for dogs of all sizes from small to x-large
- Comparatively cheaper in price
- Many buyer reviews that, size is inconsistent
- Causes some dog’s to vomit
8. Best Grain Free Dental Chews for Dogs – Zukes Z-Bones
Zuke’s Z-Bones Dog Dental Chews are a prime source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It contains all-natural ingredients to make your dog’s healthy gum, clean teeth and freshen breath.
It is specially designed to remove plaque and tartar from the dog’s teeth during chewing sessions. Structurally, the treat is bone shaped and very delicious but features ideal texture to gently clean your dog’s teeth and keep the gum healthy.
The recipe formulated with a combination of herbs, parsley, alfalfa and fennel to keep its breath fresh. On the other hand, wholesome ingredients like apple, peas and spinach ensure good health.
There is no corn, soy, wheat gluten or synthetic chlorophyll, so you can be confident in this regard that, you are giving the best nutritional value through this treat to your pooch. This dog chew also carries an easily digestible formula, which makes it smart as sensitive stomach dog food.
These grain-free dental treats are made in the USA and available at different sizes to match a proper fit. So, don’t miss to share a special time with your furry friend by offering this high-quality chews.
- Helps to Polishes teeth and freshens breath
- Formulated with all-natural ingredients
- Features easily digestible formula
- Different size for proper fit
- Made in the USA
- Appropriate for dogs above 10 pounds
9. Best Cow Hooves Dental Treat for Dogs – Pawstruck
Pawstruck Cow Hooves dental chews are made with the healthiest natural ingredients to keep your dog safe from oral disease. It supports to remove harmful plaque and tartar and build healthy gum.
It is made in the USA and completely free from dangerous preservatives, chemicals, hormones and artificial color or flavors. Additionally, these Cow Hooves chews are inspected and approved by the USDA/FDA to ensure optimum quality level.
- Provides the healthiest and safest dog chews
- Made from grass-fed cattle
- Approved by USDA and FDA
- No artificial or harmful ingredients
- Made in the USA
10. Best Dog Toothbrush Dental Treats – Whimzees Paragon
Whimzees Paragon has offered tasty dental dog treats structured like a toothbrush always help to clean your dog’s teeth properly while chewing. These are nice and chewy generate fresh breath by reducing plaque and tartar on the dog’s teeth.
Natural vegetables, wheat, gluten and meat are used as main ingredients in this chew. The absolute taste makes it easy to feed your pooch. These treats are high in fiber and low-fat.
- It helps to alleviate plaque and tartar
- Very effective to refresh bad breath
- Low-fated and high fiber
- Vegetarian and Gluten-free
- Available size is S, M, L and XL
- Made in Holland
Symptoms of Dental Disease in Dogs
It is simple to identify any oral disease of your dog by opening its mouth. Look inside at its gum and teeth, if it has one or more of the following issues may be suffering from dental disease.
- Bad Breath: It is noticed that bad breath is the primary symptom of dental disease. The food bacteria causes of gingivitis and infection of your dog’s mouth result in bad breath. The most relevant cause of bad breath is dental disease.
- Gum Disease: Separating gum from the teeth is the symptom of gum disease. Day by day these gum tissues regress and leave the roots of the teeth. Bleeding from the gums is a result of the bacteria that grow from the left food particle in the teeth. It leads to tooth loss, erosion and other organ diseases.
- Plaque and Tartar Buildup: Plaque is the composed form of left food particle and saliva mixing together makes a layer on teeth. This layer becomes harder and turn into a thick formation called tartar. Tartar is very harmful can cover the entire tooth and can create infection.
- Hard Chewing: If you notice that your dog is feeling troubled to chew or stopped chewing and gulping the food down, then you have to remember it relates a symptom of a serious dental problem. If you look closely the inside of his mouth may also observe loose or missing teeth. Infected teeth can cause of extreme gum pain and stop using mouth to chew food.
There could be some other diseases may cause of oral problems like dropping food from mouth, bad odor from mouth, tilting head to one side when chewing, loose teeth, unwillingness to eat and crying out in pain.
The Importance of Dog Dental Chews
Destroy Oral Germs: Usually, dog’s like to spend most of the time by biting, licking, nipping and chewing on various substances that contain harmful microorganisms like virus, bacteria, fungi and others. The food items that we provide them every day also generate bacteria when some residual food particle remains in the mouth.
Reduce Dental Disease: Many pet proprietors are very careless about their dog’s oral hygiene. They don’t take any step to protect their dog’s teeth from tartar buildup, plaque or oral cavity. Actually, dental disease arises, when bacteria turns into plaque and sustain at the surface of the teeth. Day by day this plaque transformed into tartar and spreads under the gum line where bacteria contribute to tissue damage.
Develop Immune System: These harmful bacteria attack the immune system and emit inflammatory chemicals those are responsible to damage the supporting tissues of the tooth. Moreover, these germs don’t affect only the mouth and gums, also travel into the blood and infect liver, kidneys and heart.
Total Oral Care: Good dental chews can prevent these problems including bad breath, gum disease and periodontal disease. Actually, chewing salivary glands produce more saliva and release into the mouth. This saliva has some amazing antibacterial properties help to control plaque generating and prevent tartar build up. Some chews also act as toothbrush and remove food particle from teeth. So, healthy chews are extremely helpful to maintain a healthy mouth of your pet.
Things to Consider Before Buying Dental Chews for Dogs
A dental chew for dogs helps to clean your pet’s teeth and gums without injuring them. Here’s some important considerations for pet proprietors should maintain when selecting the best dog dental chews:
There are two best dental treats Greenies and Pedigree’s Dentastix. To find out the suitable one we made a comparison between these two and reached a conclusion. Truly, we believe both of them are extraordinary and consistent with equal demand. That is why we tied these both two dental chews as best for dogs and briefly discussed with their basic benefits and drawbacks.
Consider your dog’s size, age, and breed while choosing treats. Normally, aggressive dogs choose better firmer food items than others. On the other hand, those dogs have the allergy problem or gastrointestinal sensitivity like more suitable indestructible chew toys.
Be aware of the used ingredients. Always avoid corn, wheat, soy, and artificial color or preservatives. High caloric food helps to increase weight and not suited for dogs have overweight. Balanced amount of other ingredients like, protein, vitamin, and minerals are also considered for an ideal dog chew.
When you provide chew products to your dog, you should take care of this at every moment. At their chewing time, you should also ensure pure drinking water for them. In case of big part of the treat, your puppy may face difficulties to bite.
Durability and Effectiveness
You should provide solid bones carefully because, it is risky to feed for containing bacterial contamination. With that, swallowing sharp shred bones can be lead to blockages, choking, vomiting and even bleeding from the rectum.
Sometimes too hard chews can fracture and break your dog’s teeth. So, be careful about the solidity of the chew otherwise it can create danger than good.
Few chews like rawhides are very effective for dental health but may cause gastrointestinal blockages if feed the whole. Always observe your dog’s physical condition after feeding a treat and sincerely avoid if arise any problem.
At present, more than 85% of pets are infected by periodontal disease. The main cause of this disease is plaque and tartar onto the teeth. Tartar spreads under the gum line and leads to gum pain, gingivitis, bad breath and similar others.
How do you rescue your dog from these sufferings? Dental treats are more effective to remove tartar and control existing gingivitis. All dental treats are not equally qualified and here is given some instructions for pet proprietors to choose the best quality.
Some dental treats are recommended by Veterinary Oral Hygiene Council (VOHC) and those are specially certified for plaque and tartar reduction. Finally, every pet owner should follow their vet during finalizing the dental chew for their pooch.
Most of the people heard that Dog’s mouth is cleaner than human. Few people getting confused about saliva, is it cleaner than human? It seems to be more difficult to accept because sometimes our pet eats some bad things.
According to the veterinarian, it is not genuine that the majority of bacteria in a dog’s mouth won’t harm a human. So, before making a kiss to your loving pup, just ensure they are germ-free and regularly taking Parasitic killer medicines.
Benefits of Dental Chews for Dogs
Quality chewing materials can provide your dog so many facilities like tartar removal, breath freshening, healthy teeth and gums and similar others. Many pet proprietors offer their pooches chew items as rewards or food supplements, but these are very effective for gum disease or other dental problems. So, provide your dog dental treats and enjoy the following benefits:
- Remove Bad Breath: Dental treats can help to eliminate harmful bacteria with unwanted substances from the teeth and make the breath fresh. Sometimes gastrointestinal problems also may cause of chronic bad breath and you should take special care of it otherwise untreated bacteria can enter the bloodstream and cause heart disease. Eliminating bacteria from colonizing the teeth also help to make fresh breath in dogs.
- Rescue from Periodontal Disease: At present, periodontal disease is more common in dogs may cause of a variety of factors like Streptococcus and Actinomyces bacteria. Usually, it begins with the inflammation of single tooth and spread If not be properly treated. It exhibits gingivitis at the gum line and the root of the teeth exposed when the gum tissues recede back. This disease affects your pets at any ages and dental chews, especially contribute to rescue dogs from periodontal disease.
- Develop Oral Health: Dental treats help to clean plaque and tartar from the teeth and make it strong. It also prevents bacteria from the gum line and makes it healthy. At the same time, chews act as a toothbrush and eliminate food particles from the teeth and make it more whitening. Technically, if you can manage the best pic according to your pooch, it will greatly help to improve overall oral health.
Some Important Tips
- Not all chews work well with all dogs. So, evaluate your dog’s choice before providing them new dental treats.
- Always try to choose the appropriate size for your pooch. If the chew is too small, it may pose a choking hazard and similarly, dogs won’t be able to wrap his mouth too large treats.
- With flavor and palatability consider the quality ingredients used in the product. Look for dental chews that are made in the USA.
- It is normal for a dog’s stomach to react with new treats. So, don’t be upset about your dog’s loose stool at the beginning of different dental chew.
- It is more reliable to make sure the VOHC (The Veterinary Oral Hygiene Council) seal of acceptance for the dental chews.
Since dogs cannot brush their teeth, so it is a great idea to give them dental chews for regular using. Quality dental chews are designed to prevent tooth decay, bad breath, and periodontal disease in dogs. These also help to improve your dog’s oral hygiene by keeping their teeth clean and gums healthy. From a wide variety of dental chews, we have made a shortlist for your dog that contains all quality options.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: What is the best dental chew for dogs?
Answer: After deep research on some quality dog dental chews, veterinarians decide that, Greenies Original Teenie Natural Dental Dog Treat is the best out of all. It is the natural dog treat easy to digest, contains vitamins, minerals, and other healthy nutrients. The unique texture of this chew helps to clean the gumline and remove plaque and tartar and freshen bad dog breath.
Question: What is the best dental chew for large dogs?
Answer: The Pedigree Dentastix is an X-shape dental chews specially designed for large dogs those are 30 pounds or more. It works for total oral care like reduce plaque and tartar buildup, clean your dog’s teeth and freshen breath. It also offers a delicious taste and original chicken flavor that dogs like most.
Question: Are dental chews effective for dogs?
Answer: Quality dog chews help to remove plaque and tartar build-up. It also makes your dog’s teeth clean and freshens breath. Regular chewing treats are helpful for strong teeth and healthy gum.
Question: Will dog dental chews get rid of my dog’s bad breath?
Answer: Bad breath is the symptom of gum disease and a proper using of dental chews can help to develop overall oral hygiene. With the cure of gum disease, dog dental chews also help to get rid of bad breath.
Question: How do dog dental chews work?
Answer: Chews help to maintain a healthy mouth through all over your dog’s life. During chewing salivary glands are stimulated and produce saliva in the mouth. It is the antibacterial property that destroys harmful bacteria and prevents all plaque and tartar build-up. Finally, dental treats act for overall oral health development.
Question: How long my dog should chew a dental treat in a day?
Answer: Actually, your dog should chew for at least 30 minutes every day. This will help to prevent huge amounts of plaque and make teeth more whitening.
Question: How does periodontal disease affect my dog’s teeth?
Answer: Plaque contains millions of bacteria and cause of gum infections. As a result, gum tissues leave the root of the teeth and enhance the possibility of losing teeth. This is how periodontal disease affects dog’s teeth.
Question: How often should you give your dog dental chews?
Answer: Using dental chew is the best way to take care of your dog’s teeth. By mechanical abrasion, it helps to reduce plaque and tartar buildup. According to the veterinarian’s recommendation, daily dental brushing is mandatory for proper dental care. So, you can provide a quality dental chew once a day.
Question: Are dental sticks bad for your dog?
Answer: Dental sticks are safe for dogs, but you should follow some precautions when giving dogs dental sticks. Dog’s should always be supervised when using dental sticks because they could choke or cut themselves if try to chew the stick too quickly. Check the ingredient lists and follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for the particular sticks to get the better result.
Question: Are dental chews safe for dogs?
Answer: Yes, dental chews are safe for dog’s oral hygiene. Quality chews work excellent to remove plaque and tartar build-up from the dog’s teeth without any struggle. There are both edible and non-edible dental chews but dogs like the taste of edible chews and take them as a tasty treat.
Question: Can puppies have dental chews?
Answer: Yes, from 7 weeks old a puppy starts to eat dog food by its sharp little teeth. Considering the age and weight, choose the proper dental chews that are specially made for puppies. Regarding their age and weight. Hard bones or chews could break teeth so don’t allow dental chews that are harder than your puppy’s teeth.