Quality dog dewormers should treat five of the most common intestinal parasites like hookworms, heartworms, whipworms, tapeworms, and roundworms. Intestinal parasitism is a major health problem not only poses a hazard to dogs, but they also contaminate other pets and family members.
Dogs may be the victim of various worms from the beginning of their life. Usually they show different signs by infected with different worms in their body. So, it is vital to recognize the symptom before applying any dewormer to your dog.
Dewormers come in different forms like tablets, liquid or powder. So, you should follow your vet’s suggestion to choose the right one which is effective and safe for your pooch.
We have reviewed dozens of dewormers and manufacturer information and analyzed their side effects to compare each item separately. Finally, based on active ingredients and types of worms eliminated.
Click to View Post Navigation
- 1 Best Dog Dewormers in 2021 – Reviews
- 1.1 1. Our Top Pick – Excel Safe-Guard Dog Dewormer
- 1.2 2. Runner Up – Sentry Pet Care De-Wormer
- 1.3 3. Best Budget – Panacur C Canine Dewormer
- 1.4 4. Best Dewormer for Puppies – Pfizer Nemex 2
- 1.5 5. Best DeWormer for Small Dogs – Sentry Worm X Plus
- 1.6 6. Best Dewormer for Large Dogs – Triple Wormer
- 1.7 7. Best Tapeworm Dewormer for Dogs – Bayer Animal Health
- 1.8 8. Best Liquid Dewormer for Dogs – Durvet 2x
- 1.9 9. Best Dog Roundworm De-Wormer – Excel
- 1.10 10. Best Chewable Dog De-Wormer – PetArmor 7
- 2 Some Common Symptoms of Dog Worms
- 3 Different Types of Dog Worms
- 4 Things To Consider When Buying a Dog Dewormers
- 5 Some Important Tips
- 6 Final Verdict
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions
Best Dog Dewormers in 2021 – Reviews
1. Our Top Pick – Excel Safe-Guard Dog Dewormer
A recent study has revealed that millions of dogs are verminous with a variety of worms each year. The Safe-Guard provides an easy and quick deworming solution that can control more worms than any other worming product. It kills and prevents Tapeworms, Roundworms, Whipworms, and Hookworms.
Nowadays, worms in dogs are the most common problem and dog owners are busy to find out one of the best dewormer to remove annoying parasites from their pet’s body as quick as possible. Whatever the worm type your dog is infected with, there are some general symptoms like Dry hair, Weight loss, Vomiting, Diarrhea.
Certain species of worms can stay inside your dog’s body without any symptom at all. But they start action during the later stages of pregnancy when there is a puppy in the womb.
So, canine dewormer arises in various forms like tablets, powder and liquid forms as well. A healthy and effective safeguard dewormer is really just a matter of presence.
This is the No. 1 dewormer for dogs, works fast for just one dose. This safeguard dewormer is easy to feed by mixing into food and it is the ultimate and safe solution for puppies over 6 weeks. It also works best for heat worm infected dogs and female dogs.
There are also some other available Canine dewormers for large dogs work effectively on four common types of worms. You can mix this dewormer with your pet’s food and treat to get an effective result, but don’t forget to administer for 3 consecutive days.
- 8-in-1 Safe-Guard is easily digested by your dog
- Special for heartworm and roundworms
- Also work best on tapeworms, hookworm, whipworms
- Safe and suitable for dogs over 6 weeks
2. Runner Up – Sentry Pet Care De-Wormer
When you feel trouble to feed your dog necessary dewormers due to its naughtiness, you can try this Sentry Worm which is very tasty and great to remove hookworms or roundworms from the dog’s body.
You should provide this liquid dewormer when the dog weighing up to 120 pounds. It is appropriate for puppies, adult and even for pregnant dogs. Especially this liquid dewormer removes worms and helps to keep them away from the dog’s body.
The bottle contains 2 fluid ounces and you should administer one teaspoon for each. It has not many more extra instructions on the package label, so be sincere to use it or consult with your vet to make the special dose if necessary.
Most of the pet proprietor noticed that Sentry Worm X Ds dog wormer is very delicious and normally dogs like to have it without mixing with other food. Sometimes when it is needed to ingest your dog’s body, then you can mix it with dinner. There is no specific administration for re-administering into your dog, so you should consult with your vet before providing any special dose.
- It is a large treat for puppies, dogs, and pregnant dogs
- Liquid dewormer, easy to feed
- No need to mix with food
- No appropriate instruction available on the label
- Suitable for 10 pounds of weight
3. Best Budget – Panacur C Canine Dewormer
Panacur is recognized as fenbendazole, suggested by the vet to do the treatment of all types of harmful worms in dogs. It helps to treat roundworms, tapeworms, hookworms, and whipworms in dogs. Veterinarians also recommend this Panacur for dogs to remove other parasites permanently.
It is available in powder form and comes in 4 gram, 2gram, and 1gram packets. You should choose the packet size regarding the recommended dosage. You can mix this “Panacur c” with your dog’s daily meal by maintaining the vet’s instructions.
The recommended dose is 1 gm per 10-pound weight. So you need multiple packets for large dog breeds, and for that, these are the bit expensive to treat your pet for three days. Though this package is exclusive but works adequately.
You can use this dewormer without any prescription because it has no confrontational effects and can easily control tapeworms. It can also remove heartworms and support the weak immune system.
The ideal time of using this canine dewormer is summer hits. If you can provide the formation of chewable tablets then your dog will get instant energy. It is a simple and stress-free dewormer to collect on a budget.
- Works on various types of worms
- Dog loves to take with regular food
- Also suitable for pregnant dogs
- Recommended by vets
- A best budget canine dewormer
- The taste is not all right for all dogs
4. Best Dewormer for Puppies – Pfizer Nemex 2
Nemex 2 Wormer is the best liquid dewormer for puppies which helps to remove especially large roundworms and hookworms from the dog’s body. Rather than small tapeworms or roundworms works very well on dogs that have fleas and ringworms.
Nemex dewormer is very easy to administer with a medicine dropper and ideal for pups that dislike tablets. It is available in 2 ounces bottle and appropriate for dogs are at least 2 weeks old. The condition of use is “one teaspoon Nemex 2 dewormer for every 10 pounds of body weight.”
Actually, the dewormer works great for dogs and puppies as well as cats. A proper use of this safe and effective product keeps your dog safe from harmful parasites and make healthy. If you are searching for a competent puppy wormer, Nemex 2 is a good pick for you.
Finally, Nemex wormer is an easy, effective and best price dewormer for dog owners based on a budget. It is completely affordable to buy if the dog carries worms. The active used element is pyrantel pamoate that you can use confidently to deworm your dog.
- Liquid form makes it easy and effective to administer
- Great for pets who have distaste on the tablet
- Suitable for pregnant dogs
- FDA ratified
- Not suitable for dogs are less than 2 weeks old
5. Best DeWormer for Small Dogs – Sentry Worm X Plus
Sentry Worm X Plus dewormer is formulated for small dogs, weighing 6 to 25 pounds. It is very effective to remove large roundworms, hookworms, and tapeworms from your dog’s body. It contains two active ingredients: pyrantel pamoate and praziquantel those are very much helpful to deworm both dogs and puppies.
The tasty flavor makes the dewormer easy and convenient to give your dog every time. According to veterinarians, it is recommended 2.27 mg drug for per pound of body weight as each dose. To control more critical situations, consult your vet directly for assistance in the diagnosis, treatment, and control of worms.
- Ideal for small dogs
- Recommended for dogs are at least 6 pounds in weight
- Effective for 7 different species of worms except for whipworms
- Comes with pyrantel and praziquantel as active ingredients
- Chewable tablet formulation making it easy to administer
6. Best Dewormer for Large Dogs – Triple Wormer
Triple wormer is formed like chewable tablets and these are especially recommended for large dogs are more than 45lbs. It is very effective to control the four most common types of parasitic worms in dogs including tapeworms, hookworms, roundworms, and whipworms. You can easily administer this Durvet Dewormer to keep your dog parasite free.
It contains praziquantel, pyrantel pamoate, and febantel to quick and effectively remove parasites with a single, chewable dose. This broad-spectrum dewormer is also available in specific dosages for medium and large dogs. Dogs like the tasty beef-flavor and it becomes easy to feed them.
This Feeding directions 25.1 to 50.0 pounds, give 1 Medium/Large Dog(114mg) tablet . 50.1 to 100.0 pounds, give 2 Medium/Large Dog(114mg) tablets. 100.1 to 150.0 pounds, give 3 Medium/Large Dog(114mg) tablets. 150.1 to 200.0 pounds, give 4 Medium/Large Dog(114mg) tablets.
- Quad Dewormer is a form of Chewable Tablets
- Helps to eliminate common hookworms, tapeworms, and roundworms
- keeps your dog parasite-free
- It is ideal for large dogs who are more than 45pounds
- Easy to administer with favorite foods
7. Best Tapeworm Dewormer for Dogs – Bayer Animal Health
Tapeworm dewormer very easily removes some common tapeworms from the dog’s body. Tapeworms can be spread if dogs unintentionally eat fleas or moth or bite their own hair and when they lick skin to get the release from itching.
Bayer tapeworm flea medicine is a great provision recommended by veterinarians to remove tapeworms. The active ingredient is praziquantel which included 34 milligrams with each tablet and each box contains 5 individual tablets. These chewable tablets you may feed your dog by mouth or mix with food. It can be used for both for adult and puppies.
Dog owners recommend that, tapeworm deworming is easy to administer if anyone follows the instructions on the packet and consider the bodyweight of the dog. All steps you should follow to control fleas in order to stop reinfection.
If your dog is not interested to eat this tapeworm medicine separately then you can conceal these small peals in their favorite treats. You should only use these tapeworm meds to get rid your dog from its intestinal parasite issues. Finally, you can consult with your veterinarian for proper diagnosis and treatment to control parasitism. Don’t forget to keep this dewormer away from children.
- Useful to remove tapeworm
- Very effective to remove various parasites
- Easy to feed this medicine by mixing with regular food
- Highly recommended by vets
- The shape is like a small pill
- Not suitable for puppies under 4 weeks
8. Best Liquid Dewormer for Dogs – Durvet 2x
The double strength liquid dewormer is most suitable for puppy and adult dogs. It has tasty flavor that dogs love more and easily take without any disturbance. It helps to remove both hookworms and large roundworms by assuring proper dosage regularly.
The basic ingredient of his liquid is 4.54 mg pyrantel pamoate per mL used to prevent reinfestation of Toxocara canis in puppies and adult dogs. To control and prevent worms efficiently, you are recommended to treat puppies at their 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 10 weeks of age. For dogs, you should monitor them 2 to 4 weeks after the first treatment.
- It is special for Small to Large Dogs
- Helps to eliminate both large roundworms and hookworms
- Tasty flavor that dog loves to eat regularly
- Liquid dewormer for dogs and it is easy to administer
- Helps puppies to prevents reinfestation
- Save your puppy as young dogs within two weeks
9. Best Dog Roundworm De-Wormer – Excel
It is the most effective and safe medicine named “toxascaris leonine” helps to remove large roundworms from your dog’s intestine. This quality product is made in the USA and available in 4-ounce bottle. Dogs love the great taste of this dewormer and don’t feel bothered to accept when delivering with other foods.
There are some instructions you should follow to provide this medicine to your dog. For dogs and puppies that are more than or equal to 6 weeks old can get ½ tsp. per 5 lbs. of body weight. After providing the first dose, wait at least 14 days for the second dose and then continue the next doses after every 30 days to prevent worms.
- Roundworm Dewormer Medicine is available in a 4-ounce bottle
- It is safe to remove roundworms from your dog’s intestinal tract
- Best for large worms
- Better to feed by mixing with regular food items
- Works fast on your dog’s body
- Your dog enjoy the taste and flavor of Roundworm Dewormer
10. Best Chewable Dog De-Wormer – PetArmor 7
PetArmor brand offers a variety of proactive Chewable De-Wormer for pet’s healthcare and overall wellbeing. It takes great action against Tapeworms, Roundworms, Hookworms, and Whipworms. It is especially recommended for small dogs and puppies 6.0 to 25 Pounds within 12 weeks old and for more than 3 to 7 months of age, it should be dewormed at least twice each year.
It is easy to feed with mix into food to young puppies and safe for pregnant female dogs. The improved ingredients offer a variety of proactive, sensible solutions for all pet’s health care. To administer the correct dosage, it is vital to ensure the proper weight of your dog.
- One of the most effective dewormer
- Ensure a sensible solution against Tapeworms, Hookworms, Roundworms.
- Helps to keep safe for puppies over 12 weeks
- it is vital to weigh your dog to make sure the correct dosage
- These vet-quality small dogs 6.0 to 25 lbs
Some Common Symptoms of Dog Worms
Puppy worms are always very dangerous and it is needed to take the quickstep for proper cure. As the puppy is more likely to be affected by various worms, so you should keep an eye on possible symptoms due to seek proper treatment.
A common symptom of puppy worm is bad breath with the distorted and bloated stomach. After all, an injured breed does not grow similar to other dog breeds and appear to be weaker day by day. Some other noticeable symptoms of puppy worms are:
- Limp coat and skin: A shiny and thick coat carries the sign of a healthy and happy dog. So, when you notice that the dog’s coat begins to dull and losing hair regularly, definitely it carried out a form of worms. Sometimes dry coat and rashes also may denote worms.
- Weakness: Sometimes intestinal tapeworms feed off your dog’s nutrition and the dog fall into nutritional shortage could be the vital cause of weakness. So, a lethargic dog may carry the symptoms of having worms.
- Weight loss: One of the other vital symptoms, if you observe the dog shows signs of rapid weight loss indicate the existence of tapeworm or whipworm. In this situation, you should make a quick appointment with your vet to release this problem.
- Eating more food: At the same time, the intestinal tapeworms feed the same food that the dog eats. In this situation, dogs become hungrier to feed regular diet and wants to take extra food.
- Coughing: It is the symptom you may observe in the advanced stage when a dog affected by heartworms. Dogs are suffered by roundworms and hookworms are also the cause of coughing.
- Diarrhea: It is another vital symptom occurred by different things like a simple change in diet, serious health infection including tapeworms or illness. It can happen in a short duration or last for weeks to the month. But if it sustains more than a day may lead to dehydration or a serious disease necessitate calling your vet for the good checkup.
- Visible worms in coat: There are some worms like tapeworms moves on the fur, faces or area around dog’s anus. Sometimes roundworms may also be seen in the dog’s stools and you should meet with your vet immediately.
Lackings of appropriate puppy dewormer or quick treatment lead your puppy may worsen. Some other simple symptoms are anemia, seizures, and paralysis. These are very risky and make your puppy incurable. So, if you can realize any disabilities or irregularities in your puppy, you should consult with the veterinarian immediately to take the right step.
Different Types of Dog Worms
There are various intestinal worms may cause serious damage for the puppy or dog’s health. Here are some common types of worms noted below with their functionalities:
- Tapeworms: An intestinal parasite which is flat and segmented in shaping lives in dog, cat or human’s body. The most common tapeworm species include “Dipylidium Caninum” and “Taenia Pisiformis” maintain a very unique way of getting transmitted to the dog’s body. It starts by passing tapeworm eggs into your dog’s small intestine and develop into adult. Adult tapeworms become 4 to 28 inches in length. Intestinal blockage, asymptomatic, and diarrhea are the common symptoms of tapeworms.
- Hookworms: Hookworms are small and thin stuck to the intestinal wall of your pet. There are 19% of dogs are infected throughout the United States and Canada by hookworms. Hookworms are too small that always can’t be seen with the human eye. “Ancylostoma Caninum”, “Ancylostoma Braziliense”, “Uncinaria Stenocephala” are some common types of hookworms spread out through mother’s milk, uterus or infected mammals. An adult female hookworm may produce more than 25000 eggs in a day. Weight loss, weakness, vomiting, and diarrhea are common symptoms of hookworms.
- Roundworms: The most common intestinal parasites in the world are very cunning, stay a long period of time. Usually, roundworms affect puppies less than 3 months of age and spread with dog faces containing roundworm eggs. Some roundworms can grow up to six inches long and looks like noodles. A female can hatch up to 1lac eggs per day and survive in soil for years. Toxocara Canis and Toxascaris Leonina are the two forms of roundworms and cause of stomach swelling, bloating, anemia, pale gums, diarrhea, weight loss, and itching.
- Whipworms: These are thin and about 6mm long lives in the large intestine of an infected dog. An adult whipworm lays eggs in the intestine and it comes out with the stool of the dog. These eggs are very resistant and remain alive in the dry and hot environment up to 5 years. Whipworms are the cause of bloody stools, weight loss, weakness and general debilitation of your dog.
Read More Article: Birth Control for Dogs
Things To Consider When Buying a Dog Dewormers
Dog worms may destroy your dog’s internal organs, even cause of unwanted death. So, you should always be sincere about your dog’s proper health condition with the following factors before choosing the dewormer.
Be sure about the worm by which your dog is infected. The common worms are tapeworms, hookworms, roundworms or whipworms and there are different symptoms for each worm. A veterinarian can tell the type of worm, which exists in your dog’s body by observing the dog’s stool. So, you should apply the correct medicine for the particular worms regarding your vet’s suggestion.
Minimum 2 weeks of age is mandatory if you feel to provide any deworming medicine to your dog. But in case of providing a combination of pyrantel and praziquantel, then the required age should be at least 3 weeks. Fenbendazole is a very safe dewormer does not have any age limit and can be a good option for pet owners for the purpose of general using.
There is the various forms of de-wormers like tablets, liquid or powder and you have to decide which one is perfect for your dog. The powder form provides the opportunity to mix up with regular diet for easy feeding. Sometimes it would very difficult to feed dewormers to pups in tablet or capsule form than liquid or powder form.
It is important to know the dog’s weight before assigning any de-wormer. Overdosage can fall dogs in serious illness or may cause of sudden death. Most cases the recommended dose is 1gm per 10 pounds of weight. There are various de-wormers in the market effective for different worms but not for the same weight dogs. So, consult with your vet before feeding the dewormer and be sure about the amount of dose in order to dog’s weight.
Some Important Tips
There are some important tips you can follow before finalizing a dewormer for your dog.
- Not all of the ingredients are same and do not work on every type of worm. Say for example a dewormer with fenbendazole doesn’t work on tapeworms, but piperazine only can eliminate roundworms.
- Considering the dog’s age, and breeds you should provide them proper dosages. Some dewormers are used on a daily basis, but most of the treatments allow 1-day or 3-day dosages.
- Products are labeled by age, weight, and size of dogs. In this case, some dewormers are special for puppy or small dogs that are 2-weeks old and others are for dogs more than 12-weeks old.
- Trusted products have no side effects and won’t hurt your young puppy or dogs. So, rely on brands those are well known and vet recommended. Quality products are easy on your canine’s digestive system and overall health well-being.
- From the several methods of dosing, chewable tablets are more popular for both dogs and puppies. There are also some liquid medicines and gel products are preferable for puppies.
In the end, all of the listed dog dewormer brands can provide output for being your dog more energetic. These always make quick results to remove tapeworms, ringworms, roundworms and all harmful parasites from your dog’s body.
A proper treatment with proper dewormer can completely make your dog worm-free. Using these products may save your vet bills when you follow all instructions completely.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best dog dewormer?
There are so many brands are available in the market to deworm pets, but Safe-Guard Canine Dewormer is the best of them. It provides safe and effective treatment against Roundworms, Hookworms, Tapeworms, and Whipworms. It is also safe for puppies and pregnant dogs.
What is the best dewormer for puppies?
The Nemex-2 Liquid Dewormer is safe for puppies which are at least 2 weeks old. This 2-ounce bottle helps to remove large roundworms and hookworms. Veterinarians recommend 1 teaspoon of liquid per 10-pound body weight. The active ingredient pyrantel pamoate is safe and super effective to remove worms from puppies.
What are the symptoms of dogs with worms?
Most of the time dogs do not show any signs of worms, but if you observe some symptoms like sickness of diarrhea, eating more meals than the regular, presence of worms in dog’s feces, and poor quality, then you can determine your dog is affected by worms.
How often should dogs be wormed?
Until 3 months of age, puppies need to be wormed every two weeks. When the dog is 6 months old it needs to be wormed once a month. After 6 months age dog can be wormed every three months for a better cure.
Can dogs pass worms to humans?
Roundworms can pass to humans through contaminated soil or dog feces. A significant number of roundworm eggs may accumulate in the soil where dogs deposit feces. Children should not play in a place where pets have passed feces.
Does apple cider vinegar kill worms in dogs?
Obviously, it works best for effective worm treatment in dogs by increasing the alkaline levels in their intestines and helps to destroy parasites and worms. According to veterinarians, just mix 1/4-1 teaspoon of raw organic apple cider vinegar to your pet’s regular drinking water. Very soon you will get positive results in coat condition with other common health benefits.
How long does it take for sentry 7 way Dewormer to work?
Like other de-Wormers, the Sentry HC 7 way Dewormer also starts working within the first 2 or 3 days after applying the first dose. Sometimes the action of the dose may vary depending upon your dog’s size, weight, and breed. So, it is better to consult with your vet based on the particular situation of your dog.
How do puppies affect by worms?
Most of the worms affect puppies and begin feeding blood, nutrients, and tissues. The reproduction rate of worms is very high on dog’s body and it is very tough to get rid totally. There are two main types of worms tapeworm and roundworm affect puppies.
Puppies receive worms from birth and it is known that 99% puppies born with the worm. On the other hand, puppies may be affected by worms from the mammary glands when feeding milk. Before infested heavily it is difficult to realize the existence of puppy worms. If the treatment starts at late puppies may fall in death. So, when you can observe any unusual symptoms in your dog bring them quickly to veterinarians.
How to choose the dewormer for dogs?
Dog de-worming is more essential than human because dogs are not enough efficient to battle with parasites without the help of others. For choosing the best dewormer, you should analyze the following issues:
- The quality of eliminating common parasites like tapeworms, hookworms, and roundworms
- It should work faster
- Should not have any opposing harmful effect on your dog
- You should follow your veterinarian’s recommendation
How to get rid of puppy worms?
Normally, it should start deworming when the puppy is 2 weeks of age. Deworming is very useful to continue even there is no worms are found. As an experienced breeder, you should purchase quality deworming medications for your puppies.
The infection level depends on the treatment plan. At first, you should identify the specific worm in order to provide the proper treatment. It is also essential to nursing the mother for eliminating worms as well as.
As the precaution, you can keep their living areas neat and clean. You should change regularly the used water and food plates of your puppies. Humans also carry some types of worms from the puppy’s body that’s why you should take additional precautions when nursing your dog.
How to deworm a dog?
By applying various dreamer, you can also maintain the following precautions to remove worms from your dog’s body.
- If the puppy is 2 or 3 weeks of old and affected by worms then you should take an immediate step to dewormed it otherwise, the puppy may have a chance to die.
- Keep away your dog from wild animals. It may consume many parasites and germs with worms from them.
- Clean your dog’s living area and playing yard regularly. These could carry harmful germ and parasites could make your dog ill.
- Have your dog in regular health check-up to ensure if it has worms or any types of common parasites.